You're Better - Chapter 55

Hours of painful anticipation had passed since the first four boys had woken up. An annoyingly inquisitive Snape was sent back the earliest as he was the least injured. Lily had held back on her questions but they still stood by, waiting for the two lycanthropes to wake up with bated breath.

Finally, Remus' eyes slowly fluttered open, golden eyelashes batting. Pomfrey immediately stood up and perched over Remus' injured figure.

"Are you feeling okay now dear?" she asked lovingly.

"A little heavy but I'm fine. Where's Y/N?" asked Remus, instinctively turning his attention to the girl he admired.

"You luckily only suffered some of the injuries. But Y/N however...was on the receiving end of the fighting..." Pomfrey said hanging her head low and slowly pointing towards Y/N's bed.

Remus gasped in horror. Y/N's figure was absolutely mangled. Her breathing was ragged and in every breath she winced in her unconsciousness. She had cuts and wounds on every inch of her body and she had become much weaker.

He inched over to her, ignoring the fiery pain in his legs and Pomfrey's requests for him to lie back down and kneeled next to Y/N's bed.

Right then everyone's hearts got heavy as he hugged her dearly. Lily broke down crying in worry, hugging James tightly as if in his arms everything was okay.

James slowly stood up and placed his face next to Lily's ear.

"I'll explain everything...come with me." he said walking towards the exit with a still weeping Lily trailing behind him.

*****

James carefully closed the doors of the Hospital Wing and cupped the red-head's face in his hands, wiping her tears with his thumb.

"S-so are you going to explain now?" asked Lily nasally.

"Well.. in first year I and the boys found out about Y/N and Remus'...condition. We desperately wanted to do something to help so in second year, we brewed an Animagus potion." he said guilty for not telling her sooner.

"What?!" she asked, her tone changing immediately now.

"In fifth year, the potion was ready and we finally completed the transformation. It was difficult, but it was for them." he said bowing his head low in shame.

"How come any of you never came to tell me this?! Not even Y/N..." she said sadly.

"You have to understand Lily! We thought you would tell the Aurors..." he said not wanting to lose his love again.

"I-I mean sure it's illegal, and dangerous! B-but I would never tell the authorities! I love you all too much." she admitted and at that, James let out the most loving smile that simply melted Lily's heart.

Lily hugged him, peppering kisses along his jaw and then his lips. Their loving moment however was quickly ruined when they heard footsteps and the screech of a halt right behind them. It was Severus Snape, back again to see Madam Pomfrey as he had forgotten his healing potion.

His face morphed into a look of disgust and jealousy.

"So...Potter eh? You you could've done a thousand times better than this arse." he said with resentment lacing every word.

"Severus! D-did you hear our...conversation?" asked Lily biting her lip nervously.

"Of course I did! And the first chance I get I'm going to report this to the Headmaster!" said Snape with vile intentions down his throat.

"No you can't!" James said trying to convince him but failing miserably.

"And what's stopping me? I knew I didn't imagine a stag! It was you! The whole night I thought it was just because I hit my head! But now I finally have something to use against you!" he said with clear malicious aim.