Chapter 25 Denatus

No one's POV

Let's rewind a bit to a day long before Aiz and company arrived at the safety point on the eighteenth floor. To a point only four days into Loki Familia's expedition, when a certain meeting was about to take place. An event that took 10 days before Bell and the others reached the middle floors.

Gods: Yahooo! It's Denatus time!!

The shout came from Babel, the soaring white tower in the center of Orario. Gods aplenty had gathered in the great hall on the tower's thirtieth floor. It was time for Denatus, the grand meeting of the deities that took place once every three months.

Denatus was a gathering that was mostly bluster and didn't accomplish much. That being said, it was an advisory body technically recognized by the Guild. Discussions at these events were dominated by inane topics of little to no consequence—truly representative of the gods' capricious natures—but every once in a while, more important matters were brought up: the bequeathment of influential aliases onto adventurers, for instance, or the proposal and subsequent evaluation of potential events and festivities. Accordingly, there were times they had to convene outside the normal schedule.

The only requirement for participation in a Denatus was at least one upper-class adventurer within the god's familia—in other words, at least one member needed to be Level 2 or higher

The only requirement for participation in a Denatus was at least one upper-class adventurer within the god's familia—in other words, at least one member needed to be Level 2 or higher. Pitting their familias against one another and comparing the ability of their followers to level up—to transcend the limitations of their current status—was just another way for the gods to jostle for status on the mortal plane.

Because an adventurer's level was synonymous with how closely they stood to the gods themselves, the number of high-level followers in one's familia had become a sort of achievement, a way to be recognized by their peers, as it were.

God 1: Whoa! Even Lady Freya's here?!

Gods: Hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

God 2: And Lady Ishtar, too!

God 3: Ain't she a sight for sore eyes...!

The large room was one giant circular hall, countless long pillars supporting a ceiling far overhead. The blue sky beyond the thirtieth-floor windows surrounded them on all sides, imparting the feeling that the guests were traversing a holy temple in the clouds. Deities appeared one after another from the giant door that acted as the room's sole exit, and the line made its way toward the massive round table in the center of the room.

There was a double-bunned god radiating austerity, an elephant-faced god emphatically introducing himself every chance he could get ("I am Ganeeesha!"), and a pair of silver- and purple-haired goddesses of beauty— these latter two garnered quite a lot of attention from the men. This, in turn, prompted more than a few eye rolls from the women. Old gods, young gods, male and female alike, all took their seats around the giant round table.

The room was filled with smiles as deities took the opportunity to chat among their neighbors. After a short while, one of the goddesses rose to her feet.