(Death Maze) Chapter 48 The Sword's Wind Calls

No one's POV

There was a roar as the wind around her was ripped to pieces. As the shreds of her air currents scattered, screaming into the ether, the golden locks of her blood-smeared hair danced. The slender swordswoman's body sailed through the air.

Aiz: ?!

She crashed into the floor with tremendous force and went tumbling across the room, until finally, she came to a stop among the tangled mesh of pipes lining the ground. Trembling, using her sword for balance, she tried to struggle to her feet, but her knees lacked the strength. Her armor no longer did her any good now that pieces of it were missing. Between the tatters of her battle clothes, the wounds on her supple flesh were clearly exposed, and blood from her head formed a river across the eyelid of one of her beautiful golden eyes, now squeezed shut. She was barely hanging on.

 She was barely hanging on

Revis: You're tenacious. I'll give you that...

Revis commented as she made her way over. She was not without injury herself. Similar to Aiz, her battle clothes had turned to rags, and several of the wounds inflicted by Aiz's wind sword were frighteningly deep. However, she had one thing going for her that Aiz didn't—a cloud of steam surrounding her body, floating particles of magic that steadily healed the gashes littering her skin.

It was her self-recovery skill, an especially aggravating healing ability possessed by creatures, and seeing her work come to nothing at the hand of those mist-like particles made Aiz grimace in frustration.

Aiz(mind): Just how many magic stones had this monstrosity devoured?

Revis: You're strong, too, to keep fighting even after the blow you suffered.

Around them, the room was in a state of disarray, evidence of the savage duel that had taken place. Pipes had been tossed about, their surfaces cracked and leaking fluid out onto the floor. The tanks, too, scarcely resembled tanks any longer, their glass fractured and strewn about the perimeter. Chest heaving, Aiz tried to ready her sword for another onslaught, only for Levis to rebuff her efforts. Stepping forward, the red-haired woman grabbed her by the face and slammed her into the wall.

Aiz: Unngaaagh!!

Cracks spread out from the point of impact as one of the large tanks shattered with a high-pitched screech. The wind was knocked from her lungs as numbing spasms ran through her arms and legs like jolts of electricity. Revis didn't stop there, wildly swinging her left arm to sling Aiz back to the floor as though she was nothing.

Aiz: Nnnguh...?!

Revis: But I'm getting tired of this pointless back-and-forth. Aren't you?

Revis's voice was like ice against her ear as she lay there, moaning into the ground. A pointless back-and-forth. It certainly was, at this point. First in Rivira, then in the pantry, and now, finally, here in Knossos. A humiliating defeat followed by relentless pursuit. Being slammed to the ground but always rising tall, back for more... Yes, this fight of theirs had been going on for some time now. And once again, today, Aiz found herself on the brink of death.