(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 52 Scorn of the Strong

No one's POV

(Flashback)

Myriad stone blocks formed the walls of the underground chamber, far beyond the reach of the sun above. A scream cut through the dank chill.

Sora: Asuna, heal them! Use any item, anything! Just do it quick!

Sora's order came over the Loki Familia's panicked whose cries and shouts, body wounded and voice ragged after ceaselessly shrieking orders. They were in the man-made labyrinth Knossos.

After being drawn into a trap, they quickly fell into chaos and confusion as they struggled to find a way out of the maze. Though the adventurers of Loki Familia's main party had nearly been annihilated, once the Light of Hope Sora Yatagami infiltrated Knossos, they had all rallied under his order and leadership which had rival their pallum captain and form a solid core consisting of Sora, Asuna, Aiz, Bete, and several others, regrouping before heading back into the labyrinth to rescue the companions they had been forced to leave behind earlier.

Until the sound of that piercing scream, when the world in front of them turned red with blood.

Nick: Ahhh...Ahhhhhhhhh?!

Nichole: This...this can't be true! T-tell me it's not true...!

Cruz: Oh, shit, Lloyd! Shit, shit!

The companions they'd broken bread with, their friends, were splayed out on the ground before them, drenched in blood. It was a massacre.

The gore covered the walls and floor so completely that calling it a red room would have been appropriate—a nauseating indicator of the slaughter that had transpired. Some of the bodies had been cut while others had been stabbed, but a blade had inflicted every wound. This was no monster attack.

On the wall was a message scrawled in blood: THIS IS YOUR DOING, BRAVER!

Beneath it, the Trickster emblem had fallen to the floor, blood spatters forming red tears flowing from its eyes.

Koko: Over here! She's still alive!

The shout alerted the newly arrived healer, who darted over in a flash. Soon, the telltale glow of healing magic flickered, but—

Aki: It's...It's not working!

Raul: Aaggghhhhhhh...!!

The gaping wound simply wouldn't close. Potions were equally ineffective. No matter what they tried, blood kept flowing from within the armor. They could do nothing but watch, despair welling up inside them, as yet another one of their companions breathed their last.

 They could do nothing but watch, despair welling up inside them, as yet another one of their companions breathed their last