(Melen Arc) Chapter 40 Judgement

No one's POV

The shadow raced through the dark night. It hadn't stopped since seeing those monsters appear in the port. There was something it needed to confirm. Back to the screams and chaos of the wharf in its wake, it ran all the way outside the city. It arrived at a cave, not altogether unlike the sea cave Tiona had ventured into only a short while earlier.

Cautiously, it slipped inside, not making a sound

Cautiously, it slipped inside, not making a sound. Breath stilled, it wove its way through the ant-like tunnels of the cavern, careful not to get lost among its passageways. It didn't use a light, instead feeling the wall against its hand to lead it along, a shadow melting into the surrounding darkness as it continued forward through the gloomy tunnel.

???:—!

It was then that it saw them. Cages, seven of them, all containing a miniature viola with flower bud closed and tentacles coiled up around it. And carved into the earth around the cages were ruts, leftover evidence from the earlier journey the cages made from the city.

???: Someone turn on a light in here!

???: ?!

It came from behind—and suddenly the light of a magic-stone lantern illuminated the perimeter. It was Loki, having successfully followed the shadow without being noticed thanks to the help of her familia members. Loki shone the light on her target, revealing its true form. Everyone in the entourage she'd brought with her inhaled sharply in unison, taken by surprise at the revelation.

Loki: Not who you were expectin', was it?

The shadow, no, the man boasted a stocky frame of roughly two meders tall, and shining beneath his black crop of hair was a pair of obsidian eyes. Firm, tanned skin stretched over the muscles of his arms and chest, revealing a body perfectly honed for fishing. A human man.

 A human man

Loki: Rod...wasn't it? You can't run away anymore.

Rod: My...lady...?

The Njord Familia captain, Rod, stood staring at Loki with his eyes as round as saucers. His voice caught in his throat as he looked from Loki and her magic-stone lantern to the gaggle of girls behind her. It didn't take him long to realize he'd been followed. Throwing a glance at the immature violas behind him, he finally spoke, his voice hoarse.