(Death Maze) Chapter 50 The Bull of Heaven

No one's POV

A short while before Loki Familia reunited with Aiz.

Ishtar: Things have taken quite the interesting twist, I see.

Thanatos turned toward the new voice, still in the mural-lined room Lefiya and Filvis had left not long ago, and confirmed its owner.

Thanatos: Ishtar...yes?

Her copper skin was laid bare to reveal much of her ample chest and supple limbs, and she was every bit the renowned enchantress who'd stolen the glances of so many. Kiseru pipe in hand, the Goddess of Beauty Ishtar narrowed her eyes in Thanatos's direction.

Thanatos: And what a surprise this is, my dear sponsor. Welcome to the grand halls of Knossos!...Or so I'd like to say, but you don't seem in the mood for pleasantries, hmm? Coming here of your own volition as you have.

Ishtar: A little too late for that, isn't it? Just how many times do you think I've been to this rat's nest now? You're a difficult god to find, do you know that? We've been looking for some time.

Ishtar replied, clearly no stranger to Knossos's tunnels. Behind her stood one of her human followers, as well as their masked guide. The two familias, Ishtar Familia and the Evilus Remnants, were closely entwined. Though to be truthful, Ishtar Familia consisted of no one but Ishtar and a few others. The completion of Knossos required considerable materials and funds, something that the Evilus—Barca and the other Daedalus descendants included—didn't have. This was why they'd forged their contract with Njord to benefit from Melen's black-market dealings.

But that was only one of their plans, and their dealings with Ishtar were another. What with the brothels of Orario's Pleasure Quarter under her command, Ishtar's familia possessed easily the greatest source of funds in all of Orario, at least after Orario's largest and second-largest familias—Loki's and Freya's, respectively. Unlike the high-risk, high-return Dungeon familias, she incurred almost no costs or losses, making it more of a no-risk, high-return venture and the source of her power.

Thanatos: Well, you've found me! And for what purpose, may I ask?

After all, Ishtar wasn't helping the Evils for the hell of it. She wanted something in return, as well. Namely the powerful being the Evilus and the creatures were hiding.

Ishtar: The Bull of Heaven I'm to receive. I would like to see its power. The time has almost come for me to have my revenge on Freya. Once I've gotten my hands on that rabbit, my bait, I'll need to strike within only a few days' time. I may need to lure her brats here...and before that happens, I want to be completely sure of its strength.

Thanatos:...Erm, well...

As a wicked grin unbefitting a Goddess of Beauty crossed Ishtar's face, Thanatos started hemming and hawing.

Ishtar: You are aware of what's going on in your own labyrinth, aren't you? You know that Lightning Flash and Loki Familia are wandering its halls? I can think of no better opportunity to test its strength.

Thanatos: It's just...You know, Ishtar? Loki Familia doesn't even have a key. They're just about done as it is, even without pulling the age-old final boss to bring them down. Quite the opposite, in fact, it would only create more chaos for us...

Thanatos tried to explain.

Ishtar: Like I care about any of that. Just how much money do you think I've showered you with these past five years, hmm?

Thanatos: Fine, fine...

Thanatos put up his hands in defeat as she removed her kiseru pipe from between her lips and let out a puff of purple smoke.