Chapter 31 (Arc 2 Finale) Sign

No one's POV

The crystals growing from the Dungeon floor glimmered with a hazy, surreal blue glow. Deep, deep in the forest, they shed their light at the floor's easternmost tip. And from within those mighty crystals, towering among the trees, a cry of anguish reverberated against their glistening surfaces. There were two of them, gasping for breath. Above them, a figure stood with small tachi unsheathed, shrouded in darkness as their long cape fluttered in a nonexistent breeze. Blood dripped from the silver blade's gleaming edge.

Ryuu: Now then, there are a few things I'd like to ask the both of you

The adventurer began in a low voice, her face hidden deep within her hood as she looked down upon the two figures on the ground. The two men were currently lying crumpled at her feet. It was the same two Evilus associates who had sicced the swarm of violas on Lefiya and Bell earlier. The young human and elf, now laid bare of their forehead protectors and hoods, trembled with fear as the cerulean eyes of the masked adventurer cut into them with an icy glare.

 The young human and elf, now laid bare of their forehead protectors and hoods, trembled with fear as the cerulean eyes of the masked adventurer cut into them with an icy glare

Ryuu: Were you the ones who released that monster here? And if so, what are you trying to accomplish?

The girl's voice was cold, calculating, entirely unbefitting the adventurer who'd only a short while ago been healing her fellow elf and white-haired companion. Bright-red splatters of blood dotted the surrounding greenery. Her weapon had cut them down to the bone, slicing through muscle and sinew and rendering them incapable of movement.

She'd gone after them the moment she'd left Lefiya and Bell, mostly due to her concern regarding the new monster species she'd fought earlier but also due to the twinge of doubt she just couldn't shake off. This grand forest was like her playground, after all. She knew where the white flowers grew, flowers she offered to the graves of her fallen comrades. She even knew where the wild fruit grew. She knew the forest so well, in fact, that the moment she'd given chase after the two men below her, their fate had already been sealed.

Evilus 1: Gwahh...!

The man on the ground groaned, his robes wide open to reveal the countless crimson pellets lining his body—firestones, to be used for his own self destruction. Neither one of them had been granted poison capsules in their teeth. Even if they were to attempt to cut their own lives short, the only way out was fire —otherwise, the hieroglyphics on their backs, the Falna that would reveal both their true names and the name of their patron deity, could be revealed with a Status Thief.