(Melen Arc) Chapter 33 Travel Trouble

No one's POV

Melen was a port city to the southwest of Orario.

With only about three kirlo between the two, it was no more than a hop, skip, and a jump from one city to the other. It served as Orario's portal to the sea due to its proximity to the banks of Lolog Lake, a large brackish body of water that led to the ocean.

Day after day, countless ships from countries all over the world made port in the city's harbor, dropping off their hefty loads of cargo. The majority of the goods would be further transported into Orario as imports. In fact, just about everything that eventually made its way to Orario's marketplaces was first gathered together in Melen. The sea route's ability to transport large quantities of goods was one of its key advantages, and Orario, too, was no stranger to using it for its own exports. The city had long made use of the port as its go-between for exchanging its world-renowned magic-stone goods for foreign imports.

Needless to say, Port Melen was an important point in Orario's oceanic ventures.

Tiona: Wa-hah! I haven't been here in forever!

Just as Loki had informed them the night prior, Aiz and the others of Loki Familia females had made their way to the port city. Tiona cried out boisterously from the middle of the great sloping street connecting the port with the bay. Though Aiz didn't react as drastically, she also found herself rather in awe when looking past the crowds of people at the vast lake and countless ships moored there.

Tione: Seriously. How many years has it been?

A smile appeared on Tione's face as she checked out the port.

Tiona: I don't think I've been here since before I even started heading into the Dungeon!

Tiona responded with a happy laugh.

Much like how many goods made their way through the port city, quite a few people bound for Orario did as well. Those already on the continent could make their way to the Labyrinth City by traveling along its northern and eastern roads, but travelers from the Far East or various island and ocean nations first needed to pass through Meren. Tiona and Tione had made that very trip many years ago.

Asuna: The smell of sea sure is refreshing.

Only Aiz and a few others found themselves entranced by the surrounding scenery. Most of the group reacted similarly to Tiona and Tione—with a sort of nostalgic excitement.

Tiona: Check out this huge dodobass! I know they sell 'em in the city, too, but I've never seen one this big!

Tiona's eager shouts continued as she spotted a gargantuan fish on display in one of the nearby shops. This one boasted a length of well over one meder.

Lefiya: It seems fish undergo the same development as monsters...

True to Lefiya's words, the fish's enormous warped scales certainly did make it look more like a monster than a fish. Most likely, it had evolved as such to ensure it didn't become prey to those same monsters. Dodobass weren't the only sea creatures available, either—shrimp, crab, and a whole assortment of other seafood could be seen for sale in shops, most so fresh they were still alive.

The road lined with stone buildings was bustling with activity as foreigners, merchants, and fishermen milled about. Off to the side of the road were carpets laid out with rare fineries and tents lined with fish, snails, and other fresh seafood, all of them filled with the haggling voices of prospective buyers. This small snapshot of Meren—the bazaar-like atmosphere, the tanned skin of the fishermen and merchants, and the salty aroma wafting in on the breeze—was enough to make it clear that this was truly a seaside city.