(Melen Arc) Chapter 38 War Party

No one's POV

Narfi: Miss Asuna! One of the fishermen saw some Amazons down by the pier!

Back in Melen proper, Asuna and Aiz were out searching for any traces of Tione, Tiona, or Kali Familia when Narfi came bounding toward her.

Asuna: Keep a lookout, then, by the pier. If you see anything, shoot something into the sky—a light bullet or magic or something.

Narfi: Roger that!

Asuna: You're not to engage them yourself. If you see anything, wait for Riveria or Aiz or me before taking any action!

Narfi and the other girls nodded in confirmation before quickly running off to relay the news to Riveria and the rest of the familia.

Aiz: I hope they're...okay...

Asuna: Have faith in them. We gotta do our own jobs.

Aiz turned her gaze skyward for a moment, thinking of her friends, before nodding to Asuna and the two of them dashed off down the bustling street. And elsewhere, Riveria and Loki were still talking about the information that they've gathered at the current base camp.

Riveria: According to the guards stationed along the city walls, there's been no sign of anyone resembling Tione or her sister...nor any members of Kali Familia.

Loki: Which means they're still hidin' in the city...or maybe...the lake?

Riveria: Additionally, it seems Asuna and the others have gotten wind of a possible lead down near the pier.

Loki: That does it, then! I'll head to the fishing pier myself.

Loki nodded as she turned away from the balcony's railing. Riveria took a few steps toward her, backlit by the light of the hotel room.

Riveria: We'd best abandon our original mission. We've far too many matters to attend to even without our search for the violas.

Loki: Huh? Oh yeah. Thanks to Aizuu, that's all covered. The strings're all comin' together.

Loki remarked flippantly. Riveria sharply turned her head.

Riveria: What?

Loki: Tell ya later!

But all she got from Loki was a wave of her hand and a nonchalant sound as the goddess went back to staring out across the city.

Loki: Though we still don't know just who's pulling those strings...

Loki muttered, eyes narrowing against the dark expanse.

(Elsewhere)

Ishtar: It's quite nice watching the ants scurry about from on high, hmm?

Ishtar mused from atop her decadent chair on the highest floor of the city's most extravagant hotel.

Ishtar: Taking out even one of Loki's top men would bring with it significant advantages. As much as it might incur their resentment, she has no choice but to turn her attention toward those hillbilly hicks...And if that lot becomes useless, so be it—I'll simply find someone else, even if it does delay my plans.

The goddess curled her lips deliciously around the end of her kiseru pipe, gazing down upon the players of her game. Outside the window and past the haze of purple smoke rising up from between her teeth, the lake and port town lay dormant in the moonlight.

Aisha: Lady Ishtar...

Ishtar: Back already, Aisha? Is there a problem?

Aisha: I was on my way to do as you'd instructed, but...this? What is this?