(Melen Arc) Chapter 36 Hostage

No one's POV

(Flashback)

Tiona remembered it all too well. The look in her sister's eyes. The moment she began to lose her way.

The day Tione reached Level 2, Tiona had leveled up, as well

The day Tione reached Level 2, Tiona had leveled up, as well. It was by the same method—killing one of the girls in their shared chambers. However, Tiona's mind hadn't been nearly as developed as her older sister's, and even when she realized she'd killed one of her beloved roommates, she'd barely felt a thing.

Tiona: Oh, poo. I killed someone again.

She liked to fight. Kali and the other Amazons had always congratulated her when she'd won. And yet, every time she was forced to kill one of her sisters, she got a funny feeling in her heart. Tiona had been too young to know how to put it into words, and so it had just built and built and built.

So long as she focused only on the excitement stirring in her blood, things would be fine. She could still be like the other Amazons. That's what she'd believed. That's what she'd understood innately. But the funny feeling in her heart brought all of that to a halt. As a young girl who acted on instinct rather than reason, the more her blood churned in excitement, the more she was troubled deep within her heart. The line between the two emotions was paper- thin at best.

When she returned to her stone room on the day of her fifth birthday, Tione had already been there. Alone in the corner, her weapon and mask tossed to the floor and her face buried in her knees.

Tiona: Who did you fight?

Tione: Seldas.

Tione didn't even look up upon her approach, voice no more than a whisper. Seldas. Tiona, too, had thought warmly of her. Besides her sister, Seldas had been easily the most generous and kind of anyone she'd ever known. But the rites didn't end until someone was dead. And both Tione and Seldas had had no choice but to fight to the death. The funny feeling in Tiona's heart grew even stronger.

Tiona: That's great...

She replied. And the word had been genuine. Tiona might not have been able to truly feel the connection in their blood, but that didn't keep her from understanding that Tione was someone special to her. She was relieved that Seldas had died and Tione had lived.

"I'm glad you're alive. I'm glad you weren't killed".

That had been what Tiona had meant with her word. But all she'd been met with was a fist. It was heavy with unadulterated ferocity.

 It was heavy with unadulterated ferocity