𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢

————
𝐇𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐬
————

"Do me a favor and bring this to Phoe on your way out?" Aspen mumbles distractedly holding out an ice pack as I rise from the chair in the living room. I look over to her muted phone that's sitting on the counter currently on a phone call with Director updating him on how the mission went.

After I shot the driver, everything became face paced so we could get out of there as soon as possible. We put the driver back in the front seat and Aziel drove the truck into a tree to set the scene. We left all the drugs except one bag of cocaine in the truck. Phoenix and Aspen set the bombs in the truck, and as we were running from the scene, Aziel detonated them, a crazed smile on his face at the orange red colors shading the sky.

"Where's Aziel? Can't he do it?" I ask.

"Sending the one bag of drugs we got to the agency for evidence?" She says in a 'duh' tone.

"Shit, I forgot about that," I sigh exasperatedly.

"Come on, just do it, it will literally take you five seconds," Aspen responds, "I've gotta get back to this call." She puts the ice pack on the counter and slides it towards me and unmutes herself from the call.

I deadpan her before I begrudgingly take the ice pack. Before I turn around I see the victorious smirk on her face. I flip her off behind my back. I turn into the hallway, leading to the bathroom where Phoenix is cleaning the wound the driver gave her.

I knock on the door and hear light curses from inside the bathroom.

"One second!" She calls.

"One," I count, suppressing the smirk on my face. I hear her curse even more under her breath at me.

Suddenly, the door flies open and an annoyed Phoenix greets me. "What?" She asks.

I raise the ice pack in my hand. She lowers her gaze to it and arches a brow. "It's from Aspen." I say.

"That makes more sense." She scoffs. "You can leave it on the counter, I'm still cleaning the wound." She turns back to the mirror and rubs a soaked cotton pad over her forehead.

But I don't put the ice pack down yet. Her words from only a couple of hours ago ringing in my head as curiosity fills me.

"Do you wanna hear how I carved out a man's heart a sixteen because he hurt me so badly?"

She looks at me sidelong obviously confused at why I'm still here. "Yes?" She mumbles.

I cross my arms as I lean on the frame of the door. "You carved out someone's heart at sixteen, huh?"

Phoenix visibly stiffens, her jaw clenching. Her breathing turns shallow like she's almost not here anymore. After a few seconds her clipped tone answers, "Mhm,"

"Can I ask why?"

"No." She mutters.

"Why did nobody ever hear about that at the agency?" I question.

She sighs exasperatedly. "Because it was kept very under wraps. The whole situation was."

The whole situation?

"Are you done now? Can I have the ice pack?" She asks as she throws away the cleaning supplies.

"I'm still curious though," I say.

God, why can't I leave this shit alone...

"Curiosity killed the cat," Phoenix replies.

"Satisfaction brought it back," I smirk as she rolls her eyes. I step into the bathroom more.