Chapter 35

W I N T E R

Days.

It's been a very awkward couple of days.

I didn't talk to Leo and neither did he try to talk to me. The only reason I didn't talk to Leo for the past two days was because I didn't know how to apologize and what to say and I guess he was still pretty upset from our last encounter.

But he said he loved me!

Who can go two days without speaking to someone they claim to love.

Some love that is.

But today, today, I've made up my mind to have a conversation with him and I have the perfect opportunity for it. It's Christmas. Today's Christmas. Everyone's favorite holiday.

A soft knock came from the outside of my door, interrupting me from making my foolproof plan to get Leo to forgive me today.

"Come on in." I yelled from the bed.

"It's Christmas! Come out! Let's open gifts!" I heard Iris yell from the hallway.

Why'd she knock if she was going to yell anyway?

I had spent the last two days shopping for gifts and also packaging them to suit everyone's taste.

Dropping my phone on the bed, I rolled to the other side to stand up to my feet. I packed my hair in a ponytail and put on a white cotton sweatshirts and pants to help deal with the winter cold.

I grabbed my phone and headed straight for the living room. Right from the staircase, I could already feel the Christmas spirit because as my hands grazed the railings, I saw Christmas garlands hung around it. As I moved downstairs I saw everyone in warm clothes gathered around the Christmas tree where a lot of presents rested.

"Winter's here!" Cassidy announced as I strolled down the stairs.

The ambiance of the living room was one to gush over. The lit fireplace, candle and lights illuminated the dull atmosphere which the weather had created while the scent of food and snacks filled my nostrils.

"Hurry." Iris yelled.

From the wide grin on everyone's face, I could tell that today would be a good day.

"Merry Christmas guys!" I greeted as soon as I reached the tree.

"Merry Christmas Winter!" Cassidy and Iris said in a unison with a huge smile plastered on both their faces.

"Merry Christmas Winter." Leo smiled at me which I returned with a smile of my own.

"Leo wasn't the only one who smiled at you, you know." Cassidy rolled her eyes at me and I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"Don't tease her Cass!" Iris nudged her arm. "Let's exchange gifts." She clasped her hands together as her eyes sparkled.

She's so excited that it makes me feel like I'm not excited enough when I really am. There's always something in the air during Christmas that makes you giddy.

"Winter, this is yours." Cassidy passed a red box to me. "It's from our older sister, Thalia." She smiled.

"But I don't think I've ever met her. Why would she go through the trouble?" I pouted feeling slightly sad that I couldn't return the generosity.

"Well that's Lia." She snorted.

After we all exchanged gifts, everyone sat down and started unboxing their gifts.

"A new phone?" Iris's eyes flickered from the phone to meet mine. "Omg thank you!" She came and pulled me into a hug.

"You're welcome." I smiled as I hugged her back.

"Wait." Cassidy murmured as she froze holding the keys. "Don't tell me," She paused and gently tilted her head to face me. "D-did y-you g-get m-me a-a-a..." She struggled to put her sentences together.

I nodded. "It's a car."

Cassidy jumped on her feet and squealed. She ran towards me and gently jumped on me causing me to lose my balance and landed back first on the floor but she didn't let go.

"Thank you! Thank you!" She chanted while I continued to pat her back soothingly.

"Let her go Cass! Don't suffocate her!" Iris tried to pull Cassidy away from me me but her grip was firm.

"Let Winter go!" Leo's deep voice demanded then after a second I noticed my body getting lighter.

My eyes fluttered and saw Leo's figure holding Cassidy before putting her down on her at the side of the tree.

"Why won't you guys let me thank Winter." She stomped her foot on the ground.

"Because Winter looked uncomfortable." Iris answered.

My eyes trailed to Leo who was about to open my gift. My heart raced as he raised the lid of the box.

What if he doesn't like it?

I watched as he picked up the tickets I had gotten for him.

His eyes trailed from the tickets he held in his hand to my eyes and from such a distance I could feel his gaze piercing mine.

"Thank you for this." He lifted them into the air with a smile on his face.

"You're welcome," I returned the smile with a grin.

"What tickets are those Leo?" Iris tried to stretch to snoop.

"Mind your own business." Cassidy used her palm to cover Iris's face and gently pushed it away.

My gifts from the girls older sister, Thalia was a  limited edition Chanel purse and a little note. Thank you for taking care of my siblings, hopefully I'll be able to meet you  by New Years.

My straight lips had curved upwards into a smile. I haven't met her yet but she seems so sweet.

Iris got me a pair of heels while Cassidy got me a pair of heels and a cute purse. I slowly loosened the ribbon on the box Leo got for me and as I opened it, my heart danced around. A perfume set, chocolates, jewelry and at the corner of the box was a tiny card which I picked up to see.

I'm sorry, it was quite insensitive of me to bring up the topic at the time.

It felt like a huge burden had just been lifted from my chest. He's so cute.

No. Wait. Winter what was that?

"Thank you." I closed my eyes as my lips turned into a smile.

"Sure." He smiled back at me.

"Don't you just love Christmas?!" Iris clasped her hands together once again with a fulfilled grin on her face.  "It's snowing a-"

"It's snowing?!" Cassidy gasped and immediately went to the window.  "Liar!" She rolled her eyes.

"You didn't let me finish." Iris frowned her face. "You know, in all those Christmas movies, it always snows out of the blue so I was trying to be dramatic as I gave my speech." She defended herself.

"Screw you." Cassidy cussed with rolled eyes.

"That's enough. Can we have breakfast now? I'm starving." Leo interrupted the banter going on between the two.

"Me too."

As I watched everyone stand up and leave, my heart couldn't help but flutter because these people; they are my family.

**