Chapter 40

W I N T E R

As days past, I felt more and more eager to see Leo.

Why didn't he try to contact me?

Every single time my phone beeped with either a call or text; my heart would skip a beat thinking it was him returning my texts or calls but it was never him.

I rested my head on the white table in my room as my gaze rested on my phone and took a deep breath anxiously waiting for my phone to ring.

Slowly, my eyes started feeling heavy and I drifted into a nap.

The sound of footsteps made me vigilant and through my blurry vision, I could see a figure. I yawned and fluttered my eyes opened as a blue shirt and white shorts blocked my view. I lifted my head from the desk and rubbed my eyes.

Leo?

No can't possibly be. I miss him so much that now I'm hallucinating.

"I'm just hallucinating." I moaned and put my head back on the desk before facing the other side then forced my eyes shut.

"Winter?" A deep voice echoed through my room causing my heart to skip a beat as I jumped up.

"Leo?" I asked as my vision suddenly cleared up.

"Yes, it's me." He smiled.

He stood there with a cheeky smile.

Without thinking too much of it, I immediately wrapped my arms around him and rested them around his waist.

"How could you really just disappear like that?" I whispered.

"I'm sorry." He pulled away and looked directly into my eyes. "I'd be lying if I said the reason I stayed away for a few days was because of a hospital emergency." He paused. "The real reason is that I thought seeing you everyday would weaken my resolve." He continued.

"About the divorce-"

"Yes, about that, have you signed it yet? I was thinking that since it's New Year's Eve today, it would be great if we both entered the new year single."

The divorce? Is he still thinking about the divorce?

My smile froze. "What are you saying? Why are you bringing this up right now? We haven't seen each other in days and you finally return to ask for the divorce papers? Are you joking right now?"

"Why are you getting so upset? We discussed this before I left."

"I'm getting upset because I feel like you're in too much of a hurry to leave me! I know I've been selfish in this relationship but I also thought we were friends! Fuck that! You said you loved me but not once did you ever show it to me and now you want to leave? Fine!" I flared up.

I stomped my way to the cupboard and brought out the divorce papers before stomping back to Leo.

"This is what you want right?" I raised my voice at him while lifting up to his face and waving it.

"Winter calm down." Leo tried to calm me down but I only got more annoyed.

"Don't tell me to calm down! I spent the last three or four days trying my best to reach you. I called and sent texts but you never answered any," My eyes welled up.

"Wa-"

"Stop." I croaked. "I waited for you to return home everyday and always kept my phone with me just incase you'd send me a message or call me but none of that."

"Why did you do that though?"

"Because I only recently realized that I love you and I couldn't wait to tell you," I sniffled. "But here you are reminding me of our damn divorc-"