Chapter 47

L E O N A R D O

She was pregnant with my baby?

A huge wave of sadness flooded my heart. I lost a baby I didn't even know existed.

"Did you know about this?" I weakly asked Rachel who was now seated in the waiting room next to Tim.

"Know what?" She got up and slowly walked towards me.

"Did you know she was pregnant?" I yelled at her.

Her eyes went round, "Y-yes. We only found out this afternoon." She replied.

"This afternoon?" I muttered to myself as I leaned on the wall slowly sliding down.

"Don't tell me-." Rachel went pale. "Nothing happened to the baby right?" She asked for reassurance.

At this point, my tears had already started streaming down my face and I shook my head.

Rachel immediately went down and fell on her chair while Tim immediately tried to console her.

"Mr Castro? Your wife is awake and she's asking about you." The doctor from earlier announced.

I sealed my eyes shut and took a deep breath. I can't let her see me so down like this. She'll need all the support she can get. I wiped my tears away and boldly walked into her room.

There she laid flat on the hospital bed with a drip fixed into her arm. Her ever glowing face was now pale.

Did they already tell her?

"Hey babe, how are you? What happened?" I kissed her forehead and took the seat by her.

"I don't know. I felt fine all day and I had some good news to tell you but I started feeling dizzy for some reason." She explained.

Good news? I don't think she knows yet.

"Did you eat anything out of the ordinary? Or rather, what was the last thing you ate before you felt sick?"

"Um...I went to eat Chinese food with Rachel and then when I got home, all I had was juice which Emilia made and that's about it. I think the reason I felt ill all of a sudden is because my body is experiencing changes," She grinned. "I haven't told you but I'm pregnant." Her face brightened and I froze.

What do I say? How can I tell her this news without breaking her heart?

"You're not saying anything?" Her grin froze as she waited for my reaction.

"My love," I smiled and paused. "There's no easy way to say this but we lost the baby." I murmured the last parts.

"What did you say?"

"The baby. We lost it." I repeated in a calm tone.

Her grin turned into a smile and her eyes widened in shock but she didn't say anything, she just laid there; frozen.

"Say something." I poked her but still nothing.

I looked at her with a concerned look as a tear dropped on her cheek. In a blink of an eye, she had burst into tears.

W I N T E R

What? How?

I caressed my tummy as tears stained my cheeks.

"Why am I so unlucky?" I sniffled quietly, my tears not stopping for even a second.

"It's not-."

"I'm starting to think I'm not destined to be happy."

"Don't say that, it's not your fault. We need to know what you had."

"Screw that Leo!" I flared up. "I couldn't even enjoy being pregnant for one day! If that doesn't spell bad luck, I don't know what does."

"It's not you."

"I hate my life so much!" I complained but then I realized something. "Did the doctor say how it happened?" Rage flickered in my eyes.

"He said it was poison." Leo's eyes showed uncertainty.

"What? Poison? How? I didn't have anything out of the ordinary today! I felt alright up until-." Realization hit me. "I had that drink Emilia gave me." I clenched my fists.

"You can't just conclude-."

"What? Leo we just lost our baby and everyone is a suspect!" I yelled.

"What reason would Riona have to poison you? It doesn make any sense."

"Riona? Never mind I don't even care! Why don't we go home ask her instead of you trying to defend her?" I yanked the drip from my arm and winced at the pain.

"Emilia whatever. I'll go home first but just rest for a bit more." He held me in my seated position.

"No." I shook my body from his grip. "You don't even look like you care and I don't blame you, you didn't know it existed but I did; I felt it." I vented and caressed my now empty belly.

"You think I don't care?! I couldn't even celebrate the fact that I was going to become a father because it was taken away from me before I could even celebrate it! I'm only here trying to be strong because of you! Just so you don't see me as a mess and you don't break down!" Tears glistened in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." I began to sob then he pulled me into a hug. Immediately he stroked my back, tears I didn't know I was holding back fell on my cheeks.

"It's okay my love. We both just need to be strong right now. I'm here to support you all through this process."

His words not only comforted me but made me feel safe and loved provoking my tears to keep pouring out.

After I got discharged; Leo and I along with Rachel and Timothy went to my house because they were worried about me.

"Where's the witch?" Rachel stormed into the living room and headed straight for the kitchen.

"Calm down firecracker!" Tim caught up with her and stopped her in her tracks. "We can't just accuse her like that." Tim reasoned with us.

"Tim's right. We can't just assume anything right now without proof and it's not like she's just going to walk in here and admit she was the one that did it."

"Leo is right." I agreed with him.

"Oh ma'am!" Emilia's voice echoed from the staircase as she strided down the stairs.

We all stood feet planted where we were as she slowly came down to meet me.

"You survived." She smirked.

**