PROLOGUE

summer of 1984

summer of 1984

it all happened so quickly, juno sat there in the ambulance with a blanket over him. he had a broken arm and cuts on his face from the glass, he had some on his hand as well. the police officer kept asking him questions about what happened but juno wasn't sure what happened. one minute, he was just driving back from dinner with his parents. the next thing he knows, the car flips over and there's sirens and stuff. his parents were dead.

"i think my dad was trying to not hit the deer...but another car was coming from the other direction and we spun around and fell down the hill into the forest..." juno answered, he was so unsure about everything.

"anything else you wanna add?" asked the officer
"no, i just...what's next?"
"well, we're gonna call around, your parents probably had a plan on where they wanted you to go and to who"
"so i just have to pack up things like nothing?"

the sheriff was quiet, before saying that they were going to take juno to the hospital to get checked out.

jim hopper was the name that they found, juno vaguely knows him. jim hopper was his father's close friend from high school, but they had a falling out at some point which is why a) juno doesn't know him too well b) doesn't have any communication with him whatsoever.

but before juno could up and change his life completely, the funeral was to happen, he couldn't help but felt not wanting to go to the funeral. it was too much to handle at the moment, he couldn't take it.

at the reception, everyone kept giving juno their condolences as if that was going to do anything, or even just simply: "sorry for your loss, i can't imagine what you're going through" because to juno, you simply can't unless you lost a loved one as well.

of course, juno could care less about their apologies and what not. it's not like they mean anything anyways, especially once juno leaves forks and is off to indiana, then everyone will move on. they'll be gossips here and there, then it will end with: "oh, remember that juno york kid? the one with the dead parents, shame what happened to him, wonder how he's doing"

it's not like juno is going to be here, and it's not like he mattered to anyone, not to his peers, to the neighbors (till now). maybe hawkins won't be so bad, maybe it'll be a nice change, or who knows. maybe it'll be horrible, and worse than forks. or maybe juno is just overthinking because that's what he does.

hawkins, indiana seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, literally. however, his dad was born and raised in hawkins (hence him meeting hopper), but juno visited, about three times; 1) to meet hopper, 2) hopper's daughter, sarah's funeral 3) grandma lottie but after that there was no point once him and hopper had a falling out.

the sign that supposedly read: 'welcome to hawkins' read 'welcome to hell' sprayed painted over. he was quiet the whole ride over, with the social worker; they arrived at the police station, juno furrowed his eyebrows. once the car stopped, they both got down and entered the station.

"hello, is there anything we can help you with?" asked one of the officers
"hi, we're looking for a jim hopper" responded the social worker

juno completely forgotten her name in all honesty

"he won't be in till at least 9:30? give or take" responded another
"alright, we'll wait here then" responded the social worker

juno really didn't want to see his godfather, someone he hardly knew.

his godfather arrived around 10:15. once he walked in, the social worker stood up and blocked him from going any further into the office.

"is there something i can help you with?" asked hopper

juno zoned out once again, looking at the clock ticking before here vague comments like: "andrew's dead?" which caused him to focus back onto the conversation.

"unfortunately, yes"
"when's the funeral, what's being done?"
"the funeral already happened, you weren't invited clearly" answered juno

hopper's eyes were now on him. the social worker answered that juno was andrew and gloria's son, and that andrew stated if anything were to happen to him, juno would be in the care of jim hopper.

"wait? me?" asked hopper
"i'm even surprised" juno answered
"i'm his legal guardian now?" asked hopper

juno sat there waiting for hopper to process this, as if juno still wasn't trying to. the social worker wanted hopper to finish up and process all of this.

"is this the part where you leave me to my new legal guardian?" asked juno
"look at that jim, you're a father now" teased an officer
"alright, well we can talk in your office" responded the social worker dragging hopper away

juno watched them leave before groaning heavily.

"so juno, i don't think i've seen you since you were a baby" answered hopper

they were sitting at a diner, juno had a plate of fries in front of him, untouched, uneaten.

"so, junebug ...." hopper was trying to make small talk
"don't call me that" answered juno

hopper just looked down quickly before asking for another cup of coffee.

hopper's place is in what seems to look like an abandoned cabin with wires fencing around it. juno stared at the place before proceeding to walk towards the entry before being told by hopper to be careful with the wire.

juno just nodded before walking over to the door and opening it up, hopper yelled at him saying something but it was too late, juno had entered and a girl with short curly hair appeared out of the room, extending her arm at him. the teen jumped back before hopper stood between them.

"el! el! wait! stop! he's a good person!" shouted hopper
"friend?" she asked
"yes, he's a friend, his name is juno, juno this is eleven, she's my...kid" hopper said

juno was confused because he remembered his dad talking about how hopper lost his daughter but juno didn't want to mention that, not with the recent lost of his parents; even if juno didn't show it, he knows that it probably hurt hopper and brought back memories.

especially the falling out, that to this day, juno didn't know what happened.

"you can sleep here, sorry about the mess, i try ya know..." hopper responded

juno just nodded before setting his stuff down and plopping down on the bed. hopper nodded before saying that if juno needed anything he'll just be in the living room. juno nodded before hopper left him to his own devices.

while juno started to unpack (or attempt with his broken arm) he felt someone staring at him, he slowly turned around to see eleven standing at the door.

juno just stared at her before asking if she wanted anything. eleven shook her head before juno continued packing, he placed his clothes where they would be, placed everything in where he believes they should be. before finally pulling out his collection of daredevil comics.

he was a huge fan of the hero, and collected many of the comics, sure he also had other favorite heroes, but daredevil was his favorite among all of them.

"what is that?" eleven was still in the room
"this is a comic book of a hero" answered juno
"superhero?" asked eleven
"yeah, he has super strength and super hearing" answered juno, demonstrating his comic to eleven

eleven seemed like she wanted to hold it, so juno handed it to her and said: "you can read some if you want"

she looked at the comic before mumbling a thank you and heading back to her room.

"weird kid" juno said