CHAPTER THREE

january 24, 1986lenora hills, california

january 24, 1986
lenora hills, california

around christmas time when juno returned back home, he seemed better or as joyce hoped he was. the only issue juno had was returning back to school and being seen as a freak by everyone. he was also worried about tennis tryouts.

"i'm telling you, it's gonna be okay! they'll see how bad ass we are at tennis" answered maise, as they drove to school

when juno got out, him and maise took it upon themselves to practice tennis before school started. it really helped juno a lot, with being distracted from anything negative in his mind. but regardless of their practice, juno was still worried about what if everyone only saw him as a freak and didn't want him on their team. maise regardless claimed everything was going to be fine. 

although it has been about two weeks since everyone returned from break, juno was still skeptical about how everyone viewed him. the rowing team was in talks, they always checked up on juno which made him feel bad. jonathan also now does check ups; he makes sure juno takes his meds, constantly asking if he's okay.

arriving at school, juno and maise got down and made their way towards the entrance. just in time to see the captain of the tennis team, placing up the flyer for try-outs. juno waited till the captain walked away.

once he was away, juno walked over and saw the time for tryouts today, they were being held at 4:30 at the school's tennis court. juno smiled before he heard a voice behind him.

"you're not thinking of trying out are you?" it was tessa finsely (yes the person who's party where he almost died)

"i am in fact" answered juno

"do we want to have a repeat of my party that you ruined"

"back off, tessa" maise grabbed juno and guided him down the hallway.

maise told juno not to worry about tessa, they entered their french class, where eloise and penny were as well.

"hey, juno! trying out for tennis?" asked penny

"i am...i think"

"he is" maise said smiling before sitting in front of eloise

"and what about you ms. former captain"

"i am as well, are you guys?"

eloise shook her head saying that her and penny were going to softball while the rest of the team went for soccer.

juno just hopes he is able to join the tennis team, but he still misses the row team all together, even if they hang out, playing a sport without them isn't the same.

during lunch, juno sat with the team, they all talked about the next few months and ramona hated that they were all still leaving. juno was thinking of introducing her to el and will since they were just a year below her. but for now, he enjoyed sitting here talking with the group, as eloise and maise tossed a ball back and forth.