CHAPTER TWO

cw// racism and f slur

MAY 31st, 1984 forks, washington

MAY 31st, 1984
forks, washington

juno sat in his bed, flipping through his different cassette tapes when he heard a knock on his door.

"hey there, junebug"
"hi mom" juno dreaded on, before letting out a smile
"ready for the beach?"
"i'm just trying to pick at least three tapes to listen to on the road to the beach"

juno's mom, cecila sat at the end of his bed, before looking at him and saying that he should dump them all on his bed, close his eyes and pick three. the teen let out a laugh, before his mom responded that she was serious. the teen nodded his head, dumping his cassettes on the bed and closed his eyes and picked them up.

"there you go, tina turner, fleetwood mac and diana ross"
"amazing taste" responded juno
"are you two ready for a day of fun and sun" juno's dad, arthur asked entering the room

juno nodded his head before grabbing his stuff, and looking to see his parents kissing

"ew, get a room please"
"you'll learn to love someone and kiss them as much as me and your mother do"
"or i'll end up alone with my many music and live happily"
"oye no hables asi" his mom said

juno let out a smile before asking if they were off to the beach.

the yorks arrived at the beach, and with no surprise, it was packed with the holiday being around. juno followed his parents to where they wanted to sit for the day at the beach.

"i got our radio, hot dogs and cokes, we are going to have a good day" arthur said, setting his things down
"i hope there's ice cream somewhere" juno whispered

cecilia let out a laugh and rolled her eyes before they finally found a spot and settled their things down on the ground. once they family sat down, juno scanned the beach, before leaning against his beach chair and pulling out his book.

"come on, juno, let's go for a swim" his dad said
"if i'm being honest...i really don't...have fun though" responded juno

arthur let out a low laugh, before kissing cecilia on the lips and leaving to take a swim. leaving juno and cecilia at their spot.

as they were sitting, a volleyball landed near their spot, cecilia took notice of it, and saw it was a group of teens before nudging juno and telling him to toss it back. the teen peeked over his book and glared heavily at his mom.

"i think they can just walk over here" juno whispered
"dude! toss the ball back" shouted one guy
"juno" whispered his mom

juno grumbled before getting up and grabbing the volleyball before tossing it to the group of teams.

"isn't he the fag that goes to our school?" asked one guy from the group, but he said it loud enough for juno to hear

the york teen rolled his eyes, he wasn't surprised, he was used to the behavior from kids at his school. it was a predominantly white area, and he went to a relatively small predominantly white school; so juno just brushed it off.