Chapter 4

I found out there was a back kitchen. The kitchen I had been in yesterday was more for show and slight convenience, but the real kitchen where everything was stored and where the cooks actually cooked was meant to be a behind the scenes thing. I introduced myself to the staff there and they seemed to appreciate my taking the time to do so. I was rewarded with some fresh pastries I couldn't deny. 

While I was upstairs in my room deciding if I should go for a swim I heard someone entering the door without knocking. 

The girl who entered gasped as if she hadn't expected anyone to be here. "I'm so sorry Miss TerraNova. I should have knocked, I'm sorry," she repeated, almost rushing out the door. "It's okay," I reassured her. I introduced myself to her and she told me her name was Reya. She's around my age I think, and has gorgeous blonde hair that was up in a long, neat ponytail. Her blue eyes were different from mine, but still pretty. Her frame is tall. 

        "I've come in here to make the bed and to tidy up," she informed me. I waved her off telling her things were fine in here, but I stopped her before she could leave so I could ask her some questions. "Who do I go to to get the gossip around here?" I asked her. She looked at me suspiciously as if to question if this were some kind of test. "I'm only asking because I'm living with strangers and these people make me nervous," I opened up to her. She seemed to better understand me now.

"Honestly, I think everyone in this household feels as nervous as you do. They've got tempers," she whispered. I nodded along motioning for her to continue. "The Luciano brother's are gorgeous, but troublesome. Vincent loves the women and the perks of being boss, while Nico seems to like the power. I've heard he's a violent man. I don't know anything about the business of course. We're meant to stay out of it and keep our heads down, but I've seen a lot here," she finished. 

"Like what?" She intrigued me further.

        Reya looked over her shoulder as if to be sure she couldn't be heard by anyone lurking on the third floor. Mr. Luciano's bedroom was on the second floor, so I knew he wouldn't be up here at all. "I've seen people being thrown out on their asses, I've seen the type of women they bring around, and lots of fighting. I've seen guns waved around in threat. I don't know, over the accumulation of years things just build up. I can't think of everything," she said. 

"I really have to get to the other rooms now. It was nice to meet you," she told me, which made me sad because that's the only person I had here to talk to. I decided I would go swimming. What the hell else do I have to do? 

I started rummaging around in my suitcase and paused for a moment. If I'm going to be here for the time being I may as well utilize the huge walk-in closet so I don't have to dig around like this every day. I decided to do that instead of swimming. I could later if I was still up to it.

        I started hanging up the items of clothing that would need to be hung and filled the dressers with the rest. I had my sock and panty drawer first, then shirts, then bottoms, then pajamas just like I have things organized in my real bedroom. I used the built-in vanity to place my makeup and hair products, and another surface for my perfume and other personal items like my jewelry box of accessories.

 When the suitcases were finally empty I tucked them away in the corner out of sight and sighed. I didn't realize how long I'd been organizing for, but when there was a knock at my door it was Dom. "Ready for dinner? We're joining the Luciano family," he informed me. I grimaced and he chuckled. 

"Oh, you unpacked. Are you finally coming to terms with things?" he asked, knowing I was still very uncomfortable with our situation. "I was sick of digging through my things in a compact space" I shrugged. He waved for me to leave this and follow him down for dinner. The unease in my gut isn't making me very hungry. Not around them.