Chapter 42

I felt like my cookies were a success unless they were just being nice, but then again the platter was almost gone before I even remembered to put a few aside for Nico. I put three on a plate for Franklin and walked through the service hall to the closet sized security room to knock. My paintings have also been a success. I was praised for like ten minutes straight and it felt good to hear. 

When the security room door opened up I gave old Franklin a big smile. "I made cookies," I waved the plate around. "Ooo, I've got such a sweet tooth. Thanks honey you're real nice," he smiled, snatching the plate. "Mmm, wow these are delicious," he praised me. 

I started chatting with him about his grandkids, which he loved discussing. I knew all their names by now, which he told me was impressive and kind that I'd even remember at all.

        "Hey, since I'm here. Franklin, could you pull up the feed for Tuesday? I'm trying to trace my steps for something I've misplaced. That was the night of the fire, so ya know, it could've gotten lost in that," I lied like an asshole. I couldn't tell him the real reason. I was using my fire sympathy card. 

His eyes went wide and he said, "I didn't want to bring the subject up honey, but I was so relieved to hear you were okay. We all were here in the house. Everybody loves you, ya know. It'll get real quiet again once you're gone," he gave me a sad smile. I smiled and gave the old man a hug. 

"So, Tuesday was it?" he asked again. I nodded. Franklin pulled the feed and turned on the footage from the first half of the day, but then the tape cut out. "Oh? I think there was some kind of malfunction" he tipped his head trying to redo the whole thing. My blood boiled. 

They deleted the tape.

        I know for a fact the cameras were working because that's how Nick tracked me. He checked the cameras for the cab number. I almost wanted to cry right there and then, that's how frustrated I was. I needed to think."Well that's alright then. Thanks anyway," I tried to play like it was no big deal, saying bye to Franklin to run up to my room. 

I grabbed my pillow off the bed and screamed into it. I went to my sock drawer in the closet and looked for the pair of giraffe socks I hid the lighter in. Just to make sure it was still there. The second thing I'd hidden here was the Russian's log book that was in my suitcase right now. I sat in my room stewing and trying to think of a new plan. 

By not involving anyone else my resources were limited. I wished I could tell Nick because he has much more power and influence than I do, but I couldn't trust that he wouldn't side with his family. Omerta and all that crap. 

I went and took a long soothing shower and put on a comfortable matching soft terry cloth shorts and top set. I dried my hair well and put a little bit of product in it to keep it in soft waves. My stomach was growling by then which made me realize it was almost dinner time. Another day wasted. I sighed but left my room to go see if Nick was back around. 

        I stopped short when I saw that long neat ponytail of blonde hair and tall legs. It was Reya, the staff member who usually cleans up here. I hadn't seen her in a while. I'd been all over the place and was never here when she'd come for my laundry, or dust for me. I told her she didn't have to, but she did anyway. 

I had stopped short because Reya was standing extremely close to Nick. I heard her talking very low, but I couldn't make out any of the words. My jaw dropped when I saw her cup his crotch with her hand and rub. Of course he's fucking the maid. I just continued to walk out of my room like I didn't even see them there and went straight for the stairs.

        "Oh hey! Gia" I heard her voice call out to me. I turned around and she was already standing away from Nick and smiling at me. "I haven't seen you in a while. I just wanted to say hi" she innocently greeted me. It's not like she knows I'm hooking up with Nick too, and that I'm fuming right now for having seen them together.