Chapter 40

My uncle Richie and his ex, Richie jr's mother, decided not to have a wake since there was no actual body to view. Today was the funeral and for the first time in a while all of my family was together. My Zio Tony and Zia Carlotta arrived late last night. Zio Tony comforted his sister for the loss of her step son, but was also furious when he found out Little Richie almost got me killed- and got himself killed in the process. 

He almost declared he wouldn't go to the funeral, but I flipped out on him and everyone else who was in the Luciano house last night. 

I snapped. I said something like: 

"You people are fucking selfish. If I can set aside the fact that Richie tried to kill me, so I can both grieve and be respectful to my aunt and uncle who are grieving- and Richie's mother and siblings who are grieving, then you should grow the hell up and put it aside too. Those people have no fault in what happened in the fire and they need us. They need us and we are going to be there."

        Everyone stared at me like I had five heads and Luciano probably wanted to strangle me for screaming under his roof, but Zio Tony felt guilty after all I'd been through. He didn't even yell at me for raising my voice or swearing at them. Needless to say, he's here today and so is Dominic. None of the Luciano family members will be attending. Nor will most of the members who would usually show their face at something like this, out of respect for a fallen member of La Familia. 

Family my ass. These people were all ruthless and cold hearted.

        We stood around the open grave with the nice mahogany coffin they picked out for my cousin. There were flowers spread around and no headstone yet since it all came on so suddenly. My uncle Richie and Zia Cecile were clutching each other with their heads down during the prayers. 

Zia Carlotta was sniffling beside my other aunt and Zio Tony had his hands together in prayer. I had more extended family around, too many to list. Some street guys who were pals with Little Richie came to show respect to him. Only a few. 

I'd wrapped my arm around Dom's, and leaned on him while they prayed. It's such a confusing feeling to look at the coffin of the man who was supposed to be your murderer not the murdered one. I couldn't look at Richie's mother. She doesn't know my family, she isn't in our lives at all, but she's a mother who lost her child and I don't even know if she knows why or how it happened. 

        My knees went weak when after the prayers the priest looked directly at me and said, "Per request of the family I ask in Jesus name that Richie be forgiven for his sins against his family and find peace in Heaven thereafter. Giada, in his mother and father's name, asks you for forgiveness on behalf of their son, so that he may rise to heaven. Amen."

Dom clutched my hand knowing I was as shocked as he was. I tried to hold back the tears as I looked at the casket then his parents who looked at me with pleading eyes. They're very religious. I know they believe in this stuff, and they fear their son's soul is damned. 

I took in a calming breath and stepped forward. With a shaky hand I reached for the casket and placed my hand on it. "I forgive you," I whispered, but everyone was so silent a pin could be heard if it dropped. So everyone heard me. 

His mother broke into a sob. I bent down and plucked a single rose from the bucket of roses meant to lay on his casket as they lowered him down. I placed the rose on the lid of the casket and whispered, "I forgive you," again. Silent tears started pouring from my eyes and I walked back to the place I'd come from as others started moving forward and placing roses.

        A hand clasped my shoulder and I leaned into it thinking it was Dom until I saw the inked hand. My head snapped up to look at Nick and my surprised expression said everything. He said nothing in return. He just brought me into a hug and let me cry while we all said goodbye.