Chapter 32

When Richie called me he begged me to be discreet and not involve Nick this time. He told me he needed to see me as soon as possible because he had something for me that I'd want. I understood why he didn't want Nicolas involved. I'm sure seeing Nico after what he did to his hand probably freaked him out. I hadn't thought about that when the two of us went to the race tracks, but I was thinking better of it now. 

"Where do you wanna meet?" I asked, already looking around for shoes. "Only discreet enough place I know is the flower shop..as fucked as that may be. Could you get there within the hour?" he asked. 

He seemed rushed and I knew it was something big. "Yes. I'll see you there" I hung up and took a calming breath. I know I promised Nick no secrets, but he fucked it up last time and the guy recognized him. Plus I don't feel like seeing Nick's face right now, so I decided I'd do this alone and fill him in later when necessary. 

I slid my phone into my pocket and quietly shut my bedroom door before heading outside. I wasn't under strict lock and key, so they never asked questions when I left, but the Luciano family told me several times they didn't want me out and about. I haven't listened and I wasn't about to now. I called a cab and took off.

        I felt bad for Richie, the last time we were both in the basement of that flower shop he was being beaten and branded, but he said it was the only discreet place he knew. Why did he need to be discreet? Was someone watching him? Or did he find the mysterious mustached man and he's got him tied up there for me? He did say he had something I'd want. 

My heart started racing in my chest at the idea of that man being tied up there. 

As much as I've been sticking myself into this business lately I'm not actually a mobster. I wouldn't have a clue on how to handle beating a man tied to a chair, having interrogations where I scare him enough to actually tell me something. 

I wasn't cut out for this part of the work. I was good with the paper trail, but Nico is good at this hands on portion. I couldn't let my nerves get the best of me though, because this was my one shot to actually do things right and get answers. 

Everyone thought I was this dumb emotional girl...well they'll be pretty damn surprised when I drop this asshole at their feet with all the answers they've been scrambling around the city for.

        I had the cabbie let me off in front of the flower store and walked out back. I remember Nick took me to a heavy basement door back here. When I pulled it open it had that same damp smell it had the last time. I think that's just how basements smell. It was pretty dark, so I whispered out for my cousin to see if he'd made it here yet. I started walking down the crooked wooden steps to the spot where only a single light bulb was on. 

It only illuminated enough to spot the way inside once the door shut. I walked down the hall and whispered again. "Richie?" and this time I got a response. "Gia?" 

I was relieved and started walking toward him. He came out of one of the rooms and met me halfway down the hall just under the light. He smiled at me, but it was a tight smile that looked to be strangling him.

        "You okay?" I asked. Little Richie placed his hands on my shoulders and said, "You know I love you like family, right?" I figured this was him thanking me again for helping him when Nick left him here all messed up. "Thanks Rich, you too" I patted his hands before he removed them entirely. He tipped his head for me to follow him and my gut clenched with anticipation. 

I needed to lead with logic tonight, not emotions. I thought back to Giuseppe's sexist bullshit speech given to me after the blow out Nick and I had about this exact place. Nothing could please me more than putting Giuseppe Luciano in his place. I crave it.