Chapter 71

The words came out like mud but settled like quick sand. Nicolas Luciano killed Mikhail Bokarev. Nicolas Luciano killed my fiance. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Nicolas was so serious about this business deal that I just couldn't fathom why he would murder his most important ally. My head was spinning, but even in heels I ran like I was running for my life. I needed to be away from him. I couldn't stomach it. 

The man I cheated on Mikhail with was the same man who put a bullet through his head. And he freaking left him there for me to find him. It was awful. I hate him for this. I hate Nicolas Luciano with a burning passion. 

I almost went to my apartment, but for some reason I just knew he'd know where I lived already. That's how Nick works, he knows everything. I couldn't face him, so I didn't go home. I didn't go to my aunt's house either, because that'll be the second place he'll check. Most people forget Dom has an apartment in the city, because he'd spent barely any time there at all. I have his spare key on my key ring. That's where I was headed and I texted Dom that I was. I told him under no circumstance could he tell Nick I was there or give him the key.

        It didn't take long for my apartment complex security to contact me to let me know a man came barreling into the lobby of this highly secure building and fought through two guards trying to get upstairs to my place. They managed to get more men on him and had to physically remove him from the building. I apologized, but when they asked if I'd like to make a formal complaint with the police I politely declined. They had to lock down the building, so Nick couldn't get in. But he must've realized I wasn't even there, so he took off eventually. I'm so embarrassed. They said he fought guards. I can only imagine the mess. I know how Nick punches. He's a hard hitter and dirty fighter. I hope he didn't wave his gun around. He might have. 

I can't explain what made me snap at that exact moment, but in Dominic's silent apartment in the middle of the city I just snapped. Not the rubberband kind. I just suddenly couldn't stomach even being here. I needed a break. A real pause just away from everything and everyone

Not just my new apartment. I needed an ocean's worth of space.

        I was suddenly on my phone looking up flight tickets. If I was willing to pay first class I could be on a plane in less than two hours. I booked it. I knew my apartment building would be safe to enter now that Nick had thrown his tantrum here and left. I went to my apartment and packed a suitcase. I didn't even have a return flight home yet. It was on my way to the airport that I even told my aunt I was going to fly to Italy. 

She got all flustered and worried about me, but I told it's just something I needed to do and not to worry because it's not like I don't have half my family there too. I won't stay with them though. I want my own place. 

With the bank account Mikhail left me I could afford anything I wanted.

-

        I think I took my first breath of relief after I walked into that airport lobby and walked over to find my gate number. I saw Dom was calling me, and I knew that meant my aunt called him. She was worried, and now he's calling me to see what's going on. I didn't answer it. Pause.

Airport security is never any fun. I stood in a long line, I placed my bags and all my personal items in bins, then had to get into a large x-ray machine that scanned my whole body. When the green light lit I was able to pass. It was after I showed my actual plane ticket that I was suddenly being approached. 

At first I didn't even realize the security officers were there for me. I didn't do anything so why would I suspect it? But I was directly approached and asked to go with them. My heart dropped and I got really freaked out.