Chapter 52

Mario Santillo stalled when being asked who he works for. The hooded, faceless man gave him a moment to decide. "Okay, we'll work up to that. Where did the cargo shipments go? The ones you stole from the Italian mob," the Reaper backtracked, picking up a knife and twirling it around. 

"I- I don't know what you're talking about," Mario lied. Nick kicked him in the ribs quickly and harshly. Mario groaned out and tried wiggling like a fish to get himself up. 

       "Trick question. I already know the answer to that. I know you went to the Russian's disguised as a member of the Italian mob. I know you told them there were some last minute changes and switched the delivery to a port in Sicily. And I know the books were changed to cover it up. To look seemingly normal, well, for a while at least. We would've caught on to that," Nick, or rather the Reaper continued. 

His aura was even somehow different. Calling him Nick didn't feel true.

        "I was just following orders," Mario cried out when Reaper bent and placed the tip of the blade on his temple. He dragged the tip slightly down until he produced a line of red. The man cried out again. "Orders from who?" he asked. The man shook his head repeatedly. "I don't know. He was discreet," he sounded like he was begging with every word he spoke. 

Reaper grabbed Mario by the shirt, lifting him up enough to sit him up when he asked his next question. 

"Who told you to bring Giada TerraNova to the flower shop?" he asked. "Again...I don't- I just don't know," he lied. Nick punched him hard in the face, lifted him up and punched him again. Mustache man flew back down to a lying position. Blood came from his nose, so he turned to the side when the blood ran to the back of his throat while lying flat. He coughed it out.

        "You knew her cousin had made you. You lured them both in and successfully killed one...but you didn't hit Miss TerraNova hard enough and she woke up. She woke up to the raging flames around her...and she got out. Why'd you try to burn her alive?" The Reaper's voice turned to a hiss at the end. 

"It wasn't my idea," he cried out. 

Nick's patience had run out. He lifted the clippers and rolled Mario onto his stomach, before grabbing one of his fingers and putting it between the blades. I had to cover my mouth from screaming.

        "Speak you fucking piece of shit. Why did you try to burn her alive? Who told you to do it? Who wants to hurt her?" he snapped completely. I heard the scream release from Mario's throat as the Reaper started pressing down to squeeze the clippers shut. Dom flinched, but continued to watch. I had to divert my eyes. 

"Oh god, okay, okay" Mario cried out. Reaper released pressure. 

"I didn't try burning her alive!! I was meant to kill her and leave her body in the basement to burn in the fire, s-so evidence was gone. I- I didn't hit her hard enough I guess. The way her head bled out...I thought she was dead!! I killed the boy just after in the next room. I thought she was dead," Mario clarified again. His tone was frantic and pleading. 

"You're very lucky she isn't," The Reaper bent way down until his voice was just above Mario's ear.

Since the man was still on his belly he couldn't see him coming and yelped when he realized how close he was to him. Like the icy breath of death on your neck. 

        "You still haven't answered my question. Who do you work for? Who was with you at the fire that day? Who had the lighter?" he asked in succession. Mario's head turned slightly to try and see over his shoulder. His mustache was stained red. "Please, you have to understand...I can't tell you everything. They'll kill me," Mario begged.