Chapter 13

The lighting from the lanterns out on the terrace was illuminating half of Mikhail's handsome face. With such clear eyes the flicker of light reflected perfectly off of them. "I don't mean to freak you out. I'm not proposing or anything. I just wanna talk about the topic we constantly avoid" he explained. The idea of marriage has always loomed over our heads, but only now are we acknowledging it and it's quickening my pulse. I took a deep calming breath and looked at Mikhail. "Okay, what do you wanna talk about?" I asked. 

"Let's put aside the family business for a second. Could you see yourself ever settling down with me?" he got straight to the point. My throat felt dry and I was trying to swallow down these obvious nerves. He took my hands in his to stop me from fidgeting them.

"I'm still so young. I have a hard time picturing me becoming such an adult. Marriage is a big deal. It's meant to be forever, you know? And there's all this pressure between us for it to work out and keep the peace that binds us. I never want to be in a bad marriage because I have to be. I want love. Non contracted love," I rambled on.

        "I understand. I want the same. If I'm being honest with myself I can actually see a future with you," he admitted. "And what would that future look like? Would I be forced to move to Moscow? Would you come here? You'll run your entire enterprise one day. What would that make me?" I asked in succession. Mikhail chuckled and kissed the back of my hand. "I don't have all the answers for you yet. I just ask you to think about it because it's been brought up to me more than once, from both sides," he admitted. 

"Both sides of what?" I was confused. "Both the Russians and Italians have pressed this issue," he clarified. I was shocked that they'd go behind my back and pressure Mikhail without telling me. Did I not have a say in anything?

        "You look mad," he pointed out. "That's because I am. What gives them the right to speak on my behalf or yours? All of this is so old fashioned" I huffed, standing up. He stood up and brought me into his chest. "I don't wanna upset you. Let's change the subject" he said. "It's not you. It's-" I trailed off and sighed. Nuzzling my face into his chest I took in his scent which I missed so much. I hadn't realized it until just now. 

"I could see a future with you too. Just...the marriage part seems too soon" I told him honestly. He pulled me away from him so he could look me in the eyes. "It's all about compromise malishka" (baby girl) he gave me a soft smile. I nodded and brought myself back into him. 

        I heard the back door open which made us both look over at it. It was Alexei and he started speaking in Russian to his son. "I gotta go for now, but I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" I nodded and took his hand when he offered it to me as we walked inside. Alexei looked all too pleased to see his son and I holding hands. 

When we got to the front door Mr. Luciano was bidding them a goodbye as were some of the others. Alexei addressed me first. "Glad to see you back with my boy. Talk soon kukolka (little doll) "Goodnight Mr. Bokarev" I smiled politely at him. He leaned slightly closer and whispered, "Call me Alexei, we're family." 

I let that statement sink in. With what Mikhail told me outside I knew these guys were just counting down the days until we turned this into something official. It would be the joining of two significant family's.

Mikhail gave me a hug and a small kiss on the lips, modestly since people were watching. It still made me blush at the idea of the Luciano family seeing. He wished me a goodnight again before following his father out the door.

        When I turned around all eyes were on me. "What?" I asked shyly. "How was your visit? Did he say anything of significance?" Giuseppe got straight to the point. He was standing beside his wife and both his son's were just next to him. Dom was sitting on the steps but watching me just as closely as they were. "I don't think they have anything to do with it in my opinion. Mikhail seemed pretty angry that this was going on" I explained. "I want details, Giada. What did he say exactly," he pressed on. I felt embarrassed bringing it up the way he and I specifically had.