Chapter 22

I was still in pajamas when a woman I assume to be some kind of staff member in the house came knocking on Mikhail's door. We'd been cuddled up sleeping later into the morning then I realized. We were up late last night. Mikhail was the one to answer the door when the woman announced my 'ride' was waiting for me just outside. "My ride?" I sat up in confusion, looking at Mikhail to see if he'd ordered me a car or something. He shrugged and told me he'd go see. 

I decided to get up too and walked barefoot down the hall then down the stairs. I was surprised to see Vincent at the door. "Vin?" His famous grin appeared on his face, "Hey, I'm here to grab ya. Dad's orders," he explained. I nodded and told him I'd get my things. "Wait" he called out.

I stopped and looked back at him. He held up a bag, "For you to change." 

His dark eyes looked me up and down in my current attire which screamed 'walk of shame' clothes. It was probably best if I left here with regular clothes on. "Good call," I snapped my fingers at him before snatching the bag. It was a simple tank top and shorts. The only thing he forgot was normal shoes, so I'd have to wear my scuffed heels, but I didn't mind. 

        On my way out Mikhail pulled me aside and asked if I even wanted to go with him. He said he and his father could 'handle' this, but I knew that would come with a lot of friction and problems that I did not want to be the root cause of. I told Mikhail I was fine with going back and that I'd see him again soon.

I haven't spent any alone time with Vincent since moving into the Luciano residence, but he's always seemed playful and charming. Still, since the first day I met him I also see that he's calculating and something else I can't quite put my finger on. 

On our drive 'home', if that's what I can even call it, he seemed to be taking the long route, so when he stopped at a red light and turned slightly to face me I knew it was because he wanted to talk to me. 

        "Yes?" I asked, beating him to it. "I wanted to ask you about what transpired yesterday," he started. "I'm sure Nicolas has already told you" I looked at him pointedly. "In parts, yes, but I know my brother and he was much more 'affected' than what the situation warranted," Vincent chose his words carefully. "I don't know what you mean," I told him honestly. The light changed so he began to drive again but he continued to speak as well.

"Let me backtrack to what events transpired after you two parted," he changed tactics. "I was called by one of Morello's kids, oh Ignazio you know him, right? Well anyway, he's the one who told me the story, but he also told me to go check on my dear brother cuz he was in one of his 'moods'...Nicolas can get very testy when provoked and he's been know to make some bad choices at times like those, so I went looking for him," he dramatically prolonged the intro to this little story of his.

        "Yeah, he had a tantrum because I cursed at him and he thinks I'm meant to bow at his feet" I deadpanned. Vincent chuckled. "He started knocking some heads around asking about some guy with a mustache, and if he didn't receive the answers he wanted he'd rough them up. He swung through half the neighborhood and terrified all the lower street guys. I'd say he was blowing off some steam. That's where you come in," he said. 

"Me?" I tipped my head in confusion. What he was insinuating, I still hadn't picked up on it.

"Yes. You. Look, I've been quiet about it, but don't think I haven't noticed your little glances at each other or how you two somehow keep working together. I saw you disappear with Nico at the restaurant, and I've seen the tension between him and the Russian's, so...I think you two got something going on and you don't wanna tell me cuz you know you're supposed to be betrothed and what not. I'm here to tell ya that I'm on your side. You don't have to hide things from me. I can better control my brother if I know the actual extent of what's going on here," he finally made his point.