Chapter 56

I've never driven so fast in my life. I was lucky I didn't get pulled over as I rushed to Rosco's funeral home. The place was closed down right now, but I banged on the door until the man inside came to open it. "Can I help you?" he asked, keeping the door closed behind him. 

"I'm Gia TerraNova," I introduced myself hoping he didn't question me further than that. These guys are in Luciano's pocket and they let them conduct 'business' here. 

Hearing the name TerraNova he glanced around behind me before letting me in. I quickly rushed past him but stopped. "Which way?" I asked, remembering I didn't know where the room was exactly. 

He led me to the back room of the funeral home, then a locked door with a set of stairs, before I entered the small area just before the morgue. 

They had an incinerator down here to cremate bodies. It smelt like formaldehyde and I hated it. I was already so twisted with nerves in my gut the smell only added to the nausea I felt. I paused at the door to the morgue. This was it. I took the handle and turned. 

        Inside I saw the familiar tarp on the ground covering it...and in the center was Vincent tied to a chair. Around his body was Giuseppe, Zio Tony, Dom, and Nick. Vincent had tears running down his face which surprised me. I thought he'd wanna go out like a smug prideful bastard, but he looked to be pleading with his eyes. 

"Gia, are you kidding me?!" Dom exclaimed, gaining everyone's attention. I couldn't find my voice. I just took in the scene. "Nicolas, he's given us everything he'll give us. You know what to do," Giuseppe glared at me, but quickly told his son.

My uncle and cousin looked bewildered to see me here. Giuseppe looked strained. 

        Nick...his hand was shaking, but he had his gun in it, and he lifted it up to his brother. "I'm your own blood. Nico, don't do this to me. I'm your brother," Vincent tried. "Exactly. I'm your brother. And you still betrayed me," Nick's voice was cold, detached, but the tremor of his hand told me otherwise. 

"Nick," I said. It's like he hadn't heard anyone announce my arrival because his head snapped over to me in surprise when he heard my voice.

"What the fuck are you doing here" he hissed. 

"Your mom sent me. I'm trying to save you from the guilt you'll feel if you do this," I told him truthfully. "Anthony, get your niece. Now," Giuseppe ordered. I was running out of time. I rushed over to Nick and grabbed the arm pointed at his brother. 

"Nico, please. Spare me," Vincent cried. I saw Nick's eyes stay fixated on his brother, but his own eyes looked to be conflicted. He clenched his jaw and tried psyching himself up to do this. "Now Nicolas!" Giuseppe ordered. 

        Nick's finger tightened more on the trigger. I saw it. "Fuck, Fuck" Vincent cried out to the ceiling. "You betrayed us. You stole from us. You killed one of our own. Alfonzo didn't deserve that. You...you tried to kill Gia," Nick was listing off, to remind himself why he was about to kill his brother. "I regret it. I made a mistake!! I won't do it again," Vincent bargained. 

The tremor was still present in Nick's hand, but I knew he was going to do it. I watched as a single tear dropped down to his cheek. 

I don't know what took over me at that moment, but I quickly removed the gun that was hidden in my waistband and pulled the trigger several times while aiming at Vincent's torso. I wasn't sure I would aim it well enough, so I figured the more rounds I fired off the more likely I was to kill him.