Chapter 48

I don't know what came over me, but I knew this would be the last time I stepped foot in this house if I have anything to do with it. I needed to provoke them and see how they reacted. Giuseppe looked at me like I had five heads, but opened his drawer to the desk. Moving some items around inside he didn't find it there. 

Of course he didn't. He opened a second drawer, then moved a few papers on the top of his desk to look further. 

Nick told me he's a good actor, so I watched him closely. He patted down his pockets next and that's when I caught eyes with Vincent. The blood in my veins turned to ice. The look he was giving me was something sinister and telling. He knew I knew. It was him. Either I'm overthinking this or it was him. 

"Never mind," I told Giuseppe. I rose to my feet and dragged my eyes away from Vincent's.

        "I'm so sick of you people. Nothing but trouble has come to me since meeting all of you. What happens between the Russian's and myself is no longer going to be filtered through you. Please don't contact me again," I said confidently, and with my head held high. I wanted to appear unbothered. 

Giuseppe looked like he was going to snap at my disrespect, but I didn't give him the time to. I rose to my feet and left. As soon as I was alone in the hall my body began to tremble as I rushed for the door. If it was Vincent then he now knows that I know about the lighter, and he'll be coming after me.

"Gia" my name was called as Nick rushed after me. I didn't stop until he grabbed my wrist half way down the driveway. 

"I needa go Nick," I tried pulling my wrist away, but he must've seen the panic in my eyes. "I'll drive you," he said, nodding like he understood something. I followed him to the garage and we took off in his fast car. 

        "Why are you trembling?" Nick reached over and covered my hands. "It's just a lot," I lied. I'd need solid proof if I'm to accuse Nick's brother of anything. He couldn't know yet. "I know. My dad's a prick, but don't listen to him," he squeezed my hands before letting go. "He told you to stay away from me," I reminded him. Mostly so he wouldn't ask me why I looked so panicked.

 "And when do I ever listen?" he asked. I shifted in my seat to look at him even though he was looking at the road in front of us.

"You stopped defending me as soon as he mentioned commitment," I called him out. His jaw tensed and he fisted the wheel harder than necessary. "That's not what this is," his voice turned cold. I knew he viewed me as nothing more than a fuck, but for some reason my heart was still hurting in my chest at his words. 

        "Yeah, I know, which is why I think we should listen to your father and stop seeing one another. We're only causing more problems to ourselves and them. Whoever is photographing us will obviously continue to do so, and for it to just be whatever the hell it is we're doing...then it's not worth the consequences it'll cause," I said, looking away from him to hide the sadness in my eyes. 

Nick abruptly slammed his foot on the brakes and I threw my hands forward so as not to fly off my seat.

"Not worth it, huh? Or is it because you feel guilty cuz you know you're going to cave into their wishes and marry the prick?" Nick's eyes burned into mine and his knuckles were white on the wheel. No one was behind us on the road, so we were just stopped in the middle of it.

 I glanced back to be sure, but he didn't seem to care. 

"You said this isn't what this is, so I don't see the point in answering that question for you," I crossed my arms in defense. He quickly pulled to the sidewalk and completely shifted in his seat to face me. "You're gonna do it, aren't you? You're going to say yes when he proposes," he gritted out.