Chapter 7

I avoided Nicolas for the rest of the week. He freaked me out too much that day and I couldn't stand being near him. He'd turn on me next and I wasn't about to put myself in the position to let him. I had a phone call this morning with some of my best friends, but it was hard maintaining a lie as to why I wasn't around for the time being. I lied and said I was visiting family. They asked for how long and I couldn't even give them an answer. 

I was in a little sun dress today and I was ready to go with Benny and Dom to the plant nursery to get some veggies for this garden I was determined to build. Maria backed out but I was glad. I needed a break from this family.

        When I pulled the front door open I almost ran into a slate of abs. Tight, inked, tanned flesh. My eyes traveled up the taut muscles of Nicolas's bare torso before our eyes met. I stepped back to let him in and averted my eyes away from him. This was the first time seeing him shirtless and it was an unfair sight. I hated him, but I couldn't deny his insane sex appeal. This man was made up of defined lines and muscled curves that make a girl clench her thighs for relief. It wouldn't be God who made someone like this. He was entirely of the devil's creation. 

"Gia," a voice called out for me. When I turned it was Dominic leisurely headed my way. I never told him about the kitchen incident, so he was oblivious to the tension in the room as Nico passed me. I saw him glance at me one more time before going up the stairs. I rushed right outside ready to get away from this place. And him.

        It felt much more normal to be inside Benny's blacked out SUV with my cousin. He was our head security detail. It was mostly him who would watch over me and drive me where I wanted to go. As soon as we pulled into the plant nursery parking lot I knew I was going to love the place. It was a large glass greenhouse with friendly propped open doors. Inside were an elder couple and a few others. "Welcome" the older woman greeted us. I smiled at her but she continued to approach me. 

She asked what I might be looking for and I gave her a brief summary of what I'd need. "You know, we have pre-made garden boxes," the woman offered. "No, I think you should stick to your plan and try to build one," Dom encouraged me. Benny nodded and offered to help me with that. I decided they were right. I wanted to try making my own.

        We ended up walking up and down the aisles while I picked out what I wanted. Cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and a variety of peppers. I even found some chives I could plant too. I bought fertilized soil and set it up to be delivered to the house, so the car wouldn't have to smell like shit on the drive home. "Benny, we gotta stop off at some place to buy the wood and things needed to build this damn box" I told him. Dom was sitting up front with him and turned in his seat to see me. "We're going to the hardware store now." 

Maybe a dress wasn't the best idea because I ended up in the hardware store helping the guys lug wood beams, bags of nails, saws and hammers all up to the SUV. It was only when we got back to the compound that the staff helped lug the supplies out back without my or Dom's help.

         "You better start youtubing videos" my cousin reminded me with a smirk. I scoffed. "You don't think I can do it, do you?" I followed after him. He threw his hands up in surrender, but said nothing more. I swatted at him but he escaped my grasp before I could touch him. We both made it out back before I pulled out my phone to search up the video I needed.

"Are you sticking around to help or criticize?" I asked him. He gave me a grin that told me he'd be here for the latter. "No, go away. You can only come back once it's complete so I can shove it in your face" I told him. "Okay Bob the Builder, go change outta that dress first" he reminded me. My face fell when I remembered I was in the dress and had to run back inside to change.