Chapter 27

Mikhail seems to have a hard time saying no to me, because when I asked him if his driver could bring me to see my cousin instead of going home right away, he said yes. He figured I was worried about my cousin's condition seeing as the last we'd seen him he was badly burnt and beaten. It'll be hard to forget who did that to him, even though Richie's own father said he deserved it, along with everyone else I've spoken to. Nick truly felt justified.

        Little Richie and I decided we shouldn't meet at his house because my aunt would ask me questions and it might slip out to someone that I was there when I wasn't supposed to be. We met at a park just down the street. Mikhail's security/ driver was told to just wait for me. When I saw Richie waiting on a bench I rushed over and gave him a quick hug before examining his hand to see how it was healing. It's only been a few days, but the bubbles that blistered there had seemed to have popped.

"I wanna thank you for helping me. Things might've been worse if you weren't there. And you got me help when I probably didn't deserve it" he started. "Don't say that. What they did to you was awful" I grimaced at the thought. "I was stealing. I mean at the time it didn't feel like such a big deal. I'm a bookey and I figured they already have so much, so there'd be no harm in a few side deals to put some extra cash in my pocket," he explained. 

"That's partially why I called you here. I'm looking for somebody and I think he's a lower level guy, possibly a street guy, and no offense to you at all, but he might be doing some shady dealings too, so I thought maybe..." I trailed off. 

"You thought maybe one thief knows the other?" he chuckled.

        Richie looks a lot like his father. There was a brief period of time where my aunt and her husband separated and during that time Big Richie got another woman pregnant. They eventually reconciled but that's where Little Richie came into the picture. I could see his black and blue face where Nick punched him repeatedly, and I can't even imagine how badly that was hurting him. 

"Yeah, I guess in a way that's what I was thinking. Or at the very least I figured if he's a street guy you might just know him from there," I tried lessening the blow. "Well what's his name?" he asked. I gave him a sheepish expression. 

"Uh...that's the thing, I don't know his name" I chuckled.

"All I know is that he has a mustache, he's mid to late 30's, and he has some sort of black dot underneath the nail of his pinky finger," I shrugged, knowing it's barely enough of a lead to go on. "Geez, I don't know if anyone comes to mind. I mean it's a pretty basic description" he frowned. "I know it is. Just...keep it in mind and if you see anyone or you think of something then I'd appreciate it if you let me know...discreetly," I added. 

        He scratched his short cut hair and asked, "Why?" I was hoping he wouldn't. "I'm sorry I don't think I can tell you that. Just please, will you do me this favor?" I asked. "Of course, you helped me out a lot. I won't forget what you did for me. I'll keep an eye out" he promised. "You have my number. Give me a call whenever. I needa know who this guy is or where to find him so, yeah just reach out whenever," I repeated. That's all I could do for now.

-

        Back home, everyone was none the wiser and I felt like I really pulled some shit off today. It was satisfying to go behind Giuseppe's back and try to figure this out on my own. He makes women sound useless and I'd love to prove him wrong.

Dom's been waking up early lately, so I wasn't surprised to see his door already closed with the light off. I could see from the thin sliver of light under Nick's door that he was still awake. I shouldn't have done it, and I don't know why I did, but I found myself knocking on his door.