Chapter 64

The next few weeks went by in a haze of planning. My Zia Carlotta and Maria Luciano took it upon themselves to make my engagement their own little fun project. In light of the fact that I don't have a mother, and the late Mrs. Bokarev passed away many years ago...and I also have no sisters...I guess I could see why my aunt wanted to help me with anything wedding related. Maria? She just fucking added herself in. Maybe Giuseppe wanted her to. 

They planned this engagement party like it was the actual freaking wedding. I may have said yes to the ring, but this engagement isn't a fast track to a wedding. I told Mikhail that and I hope he listened. Either way, this engagement party was important for reasons other than the soon to be bride and groom. 

This was a sit down between all the lead families in the Italian mob and all the Russian representation here. Most of Alexei Bokarev's operation is in Moscow, but the ones here will be at this formal announcement of our joining in hands....literally. It's practically medieval. 

I've been trying to use these past few weeks as a rehabilitation from my previous state. I want to honor Mikhail and try to give him the shot he deserves. I pushed that dark alluring king out of my mind. 

Instead all I see is freaking white. Everywhere.

        The hall we're hosting the party at is breathtaking. All high ceilings and crystal chandeliers every 100 feet. They glisten in the light of the place. The tables will be lined with champagne colored clothes, and in the center will be cream colored flowers, and gold accents all over the place. Simple, classy, and elegant. There is plenty more I could describe, but I think I've had enough of focusing on the details. My only detail tonight is getting myself ready for the event.

After spending an afternoon with Mrs. Luciano in a dress shop, I should be forgiven of all sins, because I had to invoke the kind of patience only a saint would have. 

But she did find me a beautiful gown for this evening. Nothing over the top, but the event is for formal wear. It's not a wedding gown, but it's obviously white. They want me to stand out as the bride. Mrs.Giada Bokarev. My gut clenches for all the wrong reasons.

        I snapped a rubber band harshly on my wrist and flinched. It's what my 'rehabilitation' really is. When my thoughts stray to Nicolas, or anything negative towards my husband and the arrangement I signed up for, I snap the band. The slight sting is meant to remind me that I need to stop. I'm rewiring my brain. 

So, the gown I'm wearing tonight has a modest V cut for the bust line and dips lower into a scoop neck back. Of course the material is of high quality and drapes almost like satin to hug my body's humble curves without smothering them.

It's cream colored, so essentially an off white. Everything is white. 

        As I walk the hallway the material flows in waves beside me as though I'm carrying the white with me no matter where I go. My dark hair is in stark contrast to this material, and I left it down boldly, but with a few pieces wrapped into a small clip for some design. My eyes are again in stark contrast to both the darks of my hair and olive skin, but the stark white of my dress. I wore clean makeup. A tiny more than usual since I'm literally the center of attention tonight.

I glimmer in the floor length mirror as Mikhail approaches me. I can see him through it, but he still walks up quietly before dangling a thin chain necklace in front of me. It fell in line with the tone of my dress and the event itself. Simple, classy, elegant.

-

        I don't know how long I had to circle around the room to receive all the congratulations from both the Italian side and the Russian's. The atmosphere could read off as tense if you really looked between our men and theirs, but the room hid this well. People were still laughing, talking, eating, drinking, and even some light dancing. My Zia kept following me around tryna get me to eat something, but my nerves had me not hungry at all. I'm not sure if it was nerves about two very important crime syndicates sharing the same space, it being my engagement party, or because Nick was standing across the room. All that had my stomach in knots.