Chapter 61

I hadn't slept that soundly in a while. Waking up in Nick's arms felt right to me. We had slightly shifted in our sleep, so that now he was on his side, and instead of my head being on his chest it was tucked into the crook of his neck. Our legs intertwined. I peeked up at him only to see the rare sight of Nick looking at peace. Even when he sleeps you can sense his dark allure, but his facial features are more relaxed and his jaw has gone slightly slack. 

You can't hide that bare tattooed body though. The neck I was tucked into was covered in ink. The ink twirling around his corded muscle like it had its hold on him. Nick said some important things during our sex. Well, I called it making love and he didn't correct me. Whether that's because he didn't wanna kill the mood mid thrust, I don't know, but he said things too.

He told me he always wants me by his side. He called me everything. Did he mean it? 

        When I nuzzled my face back into the crook of his neck, and inhaled him, I felt him stir awake. His hold on me tightened just slightly, before he relaxed his hold on me and moved his head back on his neck to be able to look down at me. Damn him for being so handsome. "Did you sleep?" He asked, looking at the clock on the wall for reference. We'd slept half the day away, but it's exactly what I needed. "I did," I smiled up at him. It was all thanks to him. 

I can't deny that. It only solidifies the truth that I love Mikhail as a long time friend and former lover, but that he isn't who I ultimately belong with. I'd find more peace being in his arms if that were true. 

Even though Nicolas Luciano is borderline psychopath at times, and is dark and dangerous all the time....somehow he's the right choice.

        Before we could say another word his cellphone started to ring. He patted my thigh to get me to sit up, then his warm body slipped away from me, leaving a draft that made me shiver. We'd discarded our clothes earlier in the throes of passion, so his phone was thoughtlessly discarded on the floor. He grabbed it, checked the caller ID, and with a furrow of his brow he answered it. 

As if he could feel my glance on his solid, muscled back he glanced at me over his shoulder, then his face changed and he excused himself away from me. That was strange, but I know Nick's business is a dirty one. He likes keeping me out of it. I still wore his t-shirt, but Nick was upstairs talking. I could hear the rumble of his voice, but I hadn't heard any yelling so that's good. 

          A few minutes later he was back downstairs. I stretched my limbs, but tried grabbing him to come lay back down with me. He dodged my efforts. Now I was the one to furrow my brows. "What's wrong?" I asked, sensing his demeanor change. Maybe the call wasn't as good as I thought. "Nothing, lemme have my shirt back. I gotta get going," he stuck a hand out for me to remove his shirt and drop it into his large palm. I stood with the intention of taking it off, but something didn't feel right. 

"Nick...are we going to talk about everything we were saying early?" I knew he knew what I was referencing. When his face hardened I knew this wasn't what I thought it was. "People say shit when they're fucking. It's nothing to talk about," he dismissed me. That stung. I felt humiliation creep up my neck. I'd just cheated on my boyfriend, soon to be fiance, because I thought this was us finally admitting we were worth fighting for. 

And now he tells me his words were empty? 

        I removed the shirt harshly and threw it in his damn face. "What the fuck is your problem, Nick?! You made it seem like..." I was too embarrassed to even speak the words aloud. "Like what? Look, I'm glad you got your rest. Dom was all worried about it. But that's all this was, Giada. Don't go promising yourself twisted fairytales. I gotta go, I got business," he threw his shirt on, as if his words didn't sting the fuck out of my reddened shame filled flesh.