Seventy Three

"My my, what passionate students we have." Midnight started speaking after Weiss rejoined the waiting crowd. The familiarity of her voice and the way the R-rated hero sent an uncomfortable shiver down Weiss' spine. The rest of the class flashed determined stares and grins, with even that idiot with the purple hair from the other day giving her an unsure look.  "Let's get started! The first game is a qualifier. Every year without fail, many taste the saltiness of their delicious tesrs. Now here is the first game!"

Midnight swang her riding crop in the air, and a holograph of a spinning box appeared. Weiss held her head high as her eyes scanned her fellow competitors. While she knew the capabilities of those in Class 1-A, and a few from Class 1-B, the rest of the first year student body were essentially unknown, an advantage that most would surely use. Meanwhile, thanks to the USJ attack, Class 1-A was mostly exposed, or would be the first to be targeted by the other classes. Jealousy worked that way. 

"This!" 

The boxes stopped spinning, landing on a square that had English and Japanese words. An obstacle race? There had to be a catch somewhere. Midnight continued speaking. 

"All eleven classes shall participating, with the course being the outer circumference of this stadium, about four kilometers." Midnight formed a sultry grin as she licked her lips seductuvely. "Since UA's selling point is freedom, as long as you stay on the course, anything goes!" 

There it goes, no fair play. Weiss' fingers immediately tightened around Dolt's handle. Performing well would make Yu proud, and hopefully the rest of Team RWBY, wherever they were. Mina and Kyouka would want to win by their own strength, not just because Weiss helped them, which was understandable. Unless they were on a team, it was every person for themself, similar to Beacon's initiation, up until they ended up with a partner. 

Thanks to Weiss' lack of freetime, she should perform well in today's activities. Whenever she wasn't studying for class, writing new songs, performing for an audience, or forcing Yu to train without weapons, Weiss spent a decent chunk of her time training her aura. 

Weiss' skill with a blade was a hard one to match, her style being refined down to the smallest step. 

"Now take your positions! Show us your strength! Show us your skill! Show us your virility!" 

Midnight really needed to touch some grass. 

---------

Not even five minutes later the crowd of first years found themselves staring down a large red entrance, with three green lights flashing. Anything went right? Weiss' eyes darted around the students in front of her, not daring to look behind her lest she lose her concentration. Who would be the first to do something dirty? 

Weiss placed her right foot forward, her hand hovering over Dolt's handle. A smirk formed on her pale lips. Midnight never said that they couldn't go above. Her height would be detrimental if she tried running, and gliding on her glyphs could work, but there were too many people in front of her. 

The green lights started disappearing. Weiss could smell the tension in the air, and the apparent lack of personal hygiene of some of her fellow students, or was that just their nervousness bleeding through. 

The final green light disappeared as Midnight yelled, "Start!" 

Instinctively a glyph formed beneath Weiss' feet, launching her into the air as hundreds of students started running into the narrow stadium gate. Weiss made it past the wall, when a stream of snow and ice blasted through the corridor. 

Todoroki?! 

Avoiding the large chunks of ice that formed with more glyphs, Weiss couldn't stop herself from grinning as the creepy boy started running on the side, with various members of Class 1-A hot on his heels, along with a few other strangers. 

"Yang would have loved this." Weiss murmured to herself as another glyph launched herself forward, flying last Mina and Tokoyami. Her eyes briefly met eyebags, who was being carried by a few of his classmates. What exactly was his quirk? 

Sadly, Weiss was too occupied to continue that train of thought, avoiding a laserstream from Aoyama the pretty boy. Another glyph launched her ahead of Todoroki, ice no longer covering the ground. 

Hm, this was too easy, where are the obstacle-

Weiss avoided a large metallic fist, using another snowflake to change her directions, this time sending her straight up in the air. They brought back the faux villains from the entrance exam? 

That was kinda disappointing. 

"IT'S TIME FOR THE FIRST BARRIER YALL! WELCOME TO ROBO INFERNO, I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY!" Present Mic screamed, the speakers stationed in and around the stadium amplifying his voice. "WITH WEISS SCHNEE IN FIRST PLACE, LET'S SEE IF SHE'LL BE ABLE TO HOLD ON FOR LONG." 

Weiss darted forward, using various glyphs to avoid the strikes from the former faux villains. Whatever happened behind her didn't matter, especially after the ground froze again and a loud thud sounded out. Enjoying the now chilly air, Weiss pressed onwards. She didn't even need to use Dolt yet. Fighting the robots didn't matter, they were just there to slow them down. 

"SCHNEE MADE IT PAST THE ROBOTS WITHOUT A SINGLE SCRATCH, BUT TODOROKI IS CATCHING UP FAST. WHAT A DIRTY MOVE! HE ATTACKED AND DEFENDED AT THE SAME TIME." 

Weiss' grin disappeared as easily as it came, a weird feeling from her gut. She felt rather disappointed. Was this truly the best obstacles that they could come up with? 

"THEY HANDLED THE FIRST OBSTACLE, BUT CAN THEY HANDLE THE SECOND? SINCE SCHNEE'S FLYING SOMEHOW IM BETTING MONEY ON HER." 

Weiss' lips formed a thin line. 

"THAT WAS A JOKE, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT GAMBLING IS ILLEGAL." 

Very disappointing indeed. 

-------

"You know, I'm not even sure why the UA Festival needs security, they have their entire staff here and a police presence! Their third years are basically sidekicks, only an idiot would plan an attack here!" Mt. Lady ranted as she watched a large screen set up on the fairgrounds outside the stadium. Oh how she wanted to be in there cheering Weiss on! But money was money, and UA was paying handsomely for security. 

Yu didn't need Weiss lending her anymore money. 

"Its not that." Kamui Woods interjected himself. "I believe its about sending a message, to show the world that we are here and that we won't cower before evil!" 

Mt. Lady and Death Arms gave him a blank stare. 

"That how we know you're a UA alumni." Yu muttered as she turned her attention back to the screen. 

"GO WEISS! BEAT THEIR ASSES!" 

Yeah, nothing bad was going to happen. 

A/N

Next week I'm going to be busier than ever so I decided to make some time to write this. If all goes to plan, I'll have a writing schedule back up by August 8th. I hope to see you all again very soon!

Question of the day:

Did you enjoy Ice Queendom? 

Till next time on Schnee: Hero or Huntress!