3

Riley

I should've stayed in the kitchen with Carly. The steaks and veggies she cooked were salty, and I could tell by Dad's face that Carly had once again managed to ruin something so simple.

Again, I wasn't trying to hate on Carly, or make her look bad, but even I could cook better, and all I ever did was mostly sunny-side up eggs or omelets.

But could we expect much from someone who thought beef was chicken?

"We'll have dinner at the diner from now on," Shep whispered close to my ear. I chuckled and scrunched up my nose.

"I think I'd like that," I whispered back.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer while he looked back at Dad who was telling a story about something that happened in college.

We were sitting around the table outside, and I loved how the sun was still up. It was warm, and I wondered if Dad would let me go for a swim in the lake later.

"But that's why you ended up with the Knights. Imagine what would've happened if you stayed home," Dad said, looking at Davis with a devilish grin.

"Right, so it's all because of you that I'm now the S.A.A."

I knew that meant Sergeant at Arms. I looked it up a few years ago when I saw his patch after he got patched in.

"Who's looking out for the club's security now that you're up here with us?" I asked, taking Davis by surprise.

He puckered his lips, studying my face. Then, the corner of his mouth curled up. I knew not to talk about the club, but I couldn't help myself. "The VP takes over until I'm back," was his only answer.

I nodded, not needing another response. He wouldn't say any more anyway.

"I heard about motorcycle clubs before. Are you really that dangerous?" Carly asked Davis.

He shot her a look that could kill. "Do I look dangerous to you?" he growled.

"A little," she giggled. Dad and I rolled our eyes at the same time. I pressed my lips into a thin line, then turned away from her to face Shep. Sometimes, I just wanted to get away from her.

Shep rubbed my back and chuckled. "You look like you wanna go upstairs and hide in your room," he said. He wasn't wrong, but I didn't want to let Carly ruin my evening. It was nice out.

"I might take a dip in the lake. Is that okay?" I asked, looking over at Dad.

"Of course," he replied.

I smiled at him, then looked back into Shep's eyes and grabbed his wrist so he would let go of me. But instead of pulling his hand off my waist, I pushed it against it more.

His eyes didn't leave mine while his thumb brushed along the small curve of my body, and I felt my cheeks heat up. Right in that moment, it felt like something in my chest flipped a switch.

Shit.

Crushing on him now couldn't possibly turn out right.

"Ohmygod!" Carly's voice broke through my thoughts, and it felt like she had poured a bucket of ice-cold water over my head.

"Ew," I heard her say, and I quickly got up from the bench we were sitting on.

I needed to get some distance between Shep and me.

"It's just a damn bug, Carly," Dad muttered.

I couldn't hear her response because of how fast I ran inside. My heart was pounding, and as I reached my room, I could finally breathe again.

That simple touch of his caused my whole body to go numb.

I needed to think about something else.

Hell, he's what, forty-one?

I cursed myself, then got my shit together and pulled out my bikini.

Swimming might make me think of other things. Things that weren't forbidden. Because, hell...Shep one hundred percent was.

Shepherd

Riley's bikini was too small. It barely covered her tits and ass, which only made it harder for me to not look away.

She was dipping her toes into the lake, checking the water temperature. It wasn't as warm as it would get in a few weeks, but that didn't bother her. Slowly, she made her way farther out until the water reached her thighs.

"Crazy how much she's grown in just a few months." Davis sat down next to me by the fireplace and held a beer out for me to take.

I looked up at him, then nodded and looked back at Riley. She hadn't moved yet, and it looked as if she was contemplating getting fully wet.

"Yeah, last time I saw her those curves weren't there yet."

Davis was silent for a while, and I wondered if I had said too much. If I had mentioned something I shouldn't have.

I couldn't keep my hands to myself at dinner, and although I had hugged her before, or even tickled her when she was little, touching her now that she was showing off her body felt a whole lot different.

I didn't mean to make her uncomfortable. Not my intentions. But she didn't really seem to mind.

"Britton's getting rid of Carly," Davis said, taking a sip of his beer.

"Did he tell you that?"

"Yeah. It's time. I hate hearing all the stories of her going after Riley and making her feel bad. It's been too long. That girl doesn't deserve a woman like Carly in her life. Not after what happened to Alison."

We were all very close with Alison. When life decided to take her away from Riley and Britton, we grew even closer. Davis and I did everything to make them feel loved, to not lose hope. Alison was a wonderful woman, and an incredible mother.

I didn't blame Britton for dating a woman who had less brain cells than a fucking turkey. He needed the distraction, and frankly, Carly was the total opposite of Alison.

"Britton's gonna do the right thing," I said.

The water reached Riley's waist now.

"It's not that cold, Ry!" Davis called out with a grin, and Riley turned around to look at him, grimacing. "You go in then!" she shot back, and Davis was quick to get out of his chair.

He took off his shirt, showing off his fully tattooed upper body. I watched as Riley kept her eyes on him as he unbuckled his belt and got rid of his jeans. It was too hot for that much clothing anyway.

To my luck, Davis was already wearing his swim shorts.

Riley was still watching him, and if I weren't mistaken, she was enjoying the view. I couldn't help but grin. Sweet Ace wasn't shying away from an older guy who could easily be her father.

As Davis walked over to the small beach next to the deck, Riley's cheeks turned a bright red, just like before when I had my arm around her.

She looked away, and as Davis got closer to her, she didn't move.

I couldn't hear what Davis said to her, but just seconds later, he picked her up by the waist and threw her into the air. Before her body was fully submerged into the water, Riley let out a squeal, making both of us laugh.

"You're a dick!" I called out.

Davis grinned and reached for Riley's hand as she popped back up, but instead of accepting his help, she splashed water into his face, murmuring something under her breath. She was smiling, and luckily, she didn't get mad at whatever bullshit we put her through.