23

Riley

Tig was a good distraction from Shep and Davis.

After eating until I felt as if my belly would explode, Tig pulled me up from my seat to dance with him.

He placed one hand on my waist, and with the other he grabbed my hand and held it against his chest.

We were dancing a few feet away from the others, but even with just the bonfire lighting up the night, I had Shep and Davis's eyes on me the whole time.

They were talking to Dad, and all three kept their voices low.

Dad was watching Tig, making sure he wouldn't lower his hands to places Dad didn't want me to be touched.

I love how protective he was over me, but that would only make everything harder.

My feelings for Shep grew each day, and after that kiss in my bedroom, I knew what I felt for him was so much different than my feelings for Davis.

I've thought about that a lot in the past few hours, but somehow, I couldn't stop.

Almost as if I had to prove to myself that I couldn't fall for both of them.

One was enough, right?

Besides, Davis didn't seem like the relationship type of guy. At least I didn't see myself spending my future with him.

But I still wanted to get closer to him.

I knew Davis could show me things no one else could, and with Shep by my side at the same time, I had no doubt I would experience incredible things.

"What are you thinking about?" Tig asked.

I looked up at him and smiled. "Nothing. I'm just...happy."

"That's good. Your dad's probably gonna kill me before I leave. He's staring me down like a hunter stares down his damn prey before he lunges at it. Never seen him like this."

I chuckled and turned my head to look at Dad.

His eyes narrowed, then his brow raised to silently ask me if I was okay.

"Believe me, he's always like this. I've never had boys over, and he always wants to know where I'm going." I gazed back at Tig and smiled softly.

"He knows you won't do anything to hurt me. I sometimes think he's scared that I'd do something stupid, but he would never admit to that."

"That's because to him you're everything. In his eyes, there's nothing you could do wrong."

I smiled, looking down at his chest.

Tig's words made me think about all the wrong I've been doing behind Dad's back.

Kissing his two best friends.

Touching them.

Wanting them close.

But how was I supposed to stop myself when that's what I wanted?

"I know. Thank you for dancing with me," I whispered, then looked back at Dad.

I stepped away from Tig, then walked around the fire to get to Dad.

"May I?" I asked, and he immediately knew what I wanted.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me onto his lap, wrapping his arms around me. "Tired?" he whispered against my head, and I nodded.

"A little. I missed you."

Tig walked over and lifted his hand, holding the keys for his boat. "I gotta go. Thanks for having me. I'll see you soon."

I smiled up at him. "See you around, Tig."

The others said goodnight, then he walked over to the deck to get to his boat.

"We were just talking about what the most important thing in our lives is," Dad told me.

That seemed like a weird thing to talk about for three bad ass men.

I grinned. "And what did you say?" I looked at Davis and then at Shep.

I was a hundred percent sure that Davis's most important thing was his bike, but with Shep I had no clue.

"You. I know I can be a little controlling over you at times, but that's because you're my everything. I want you to be healthy. To be kind. And it only just now occurred to me that you already are all those things. You know I trust you, but I think it's time for me to slowly let go. Let you see and experience new things, and not step on your damn toes all the time. I'll try my best, but don't get frustrated if I can't keep my word."

My heart warmed.

I was never annoyed by him needing to know everything about my life.

I cupped his cheek and brushed my fingers along his stubble. "I don't want you to let go. I've never complained about your way of parenting, and I never ever will. I love you. In my eyes, there's no greater man than you, Dad."

In that moment, the other two men weren't around.

It was just Dad and I.

I snuggled against his chest as he brushed back my hair. "You deserve nothing but the best in life, sweetheart. I got you. Now and forever."