28

Riley

I couldn't sleep.

I just sat on my bed and looked out the big windows, staring at the stars.

My stomach felt sick, and my head was spinning, all because I didn't have a clue about what to do.

I was scared.

Mostly because I didn't want to hurt Dad.

If Mom were here, I could've told her about my feelings.

No hesitation.

Mom was less judgmental. She allowed me to hang out with boys, even if I never actually dated one.

But Dad's just...a dad. Protective and sometimes strict.

God, Riley. Stop worrying too much!

I pulled the covers over me and sighed, hoping to soon get some sleep and see what tomorrow would bring.

Footsteps in the hallway made me sit up straight again.

It couldn't have been Dad, since his room was on the other side of the top floor.

Shep.

I got up from my bed and walked over to the door, and just as I was about to open mine, another one closed shut.

I stopped moving for a second, then I carefully opened my bedroom door.

There was no one in the hallway.

Pressing my lips into a thin line, I observed Dad's door before heading toward Shep's.

With one more glance to make sure Dad wasn't about to open the door, I held my breath while carefully turning the knob.

"He sleeps like a damn bear. You'll be fine."

I jumped at Davis's voice and turned around to look at him.

"You scared me!" I hissed.

He was standing by the stairs. Had he just walked up here? I didn't hear him.

"Didn't mean to, Ace." He moved his eyes up and down my body, then let them linger on mine.

"Are you okay with this? I mean, with Shep and me?" I asked quietly.

Davis snorted and raised an eyebrow. "I think it's best. We both know whatever we had wouldn't have worked out long-term."

I puckered my lips and nodded. "I guess so."

That's good.

Better than him being jealous of Shep.

"Go," he said, nodding at the door behind me.

I watched him for a while, then nodded and turned around to open Shep's door.

To my surprise, he opened it from the inside and looked down at me with a deep crease between his brows.

He must've heard us.

Davis's door closed, and I smiled up at Shep. "Hi," I whispered.

"You can't be here, Riley. What if your dad—"

I placed a hand on his naked chest to stop him from saying more. "He's asleep. Don't you wanna let me in?" I asked, looking past him to his bed.

Shep sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"You can't stay the whole night. You gotta wake up in your own bed in the morning," he told me.

I smiled at him and nodded. "Promise."