5

Shepherd

It was a mistake taking Carly up here, and Britton very well knew it. She had been going on about how Riley got the room with the better view, and that this place had no internet connection. Riley was still a teen, and not even she was bothered by the lack of Wi-Fi up here.

Davis and I sat outside while we listened to Carly's high-pitched voice fill the whole cabin. She wasn't shouting, but she was loud enough to scare every animal away that was close to us. "At least we won't get any bears while we're here," I muttered.

"Wouldn't mind if one came around and pulled her deep into the woods."

A sweet laugh caught my attention, and I turned to see Riley walk toward us. "That's not very nice, Davis." She had a can of coke in hand, and while she studied the fireplace and the one empty chair next to us, she decided to sit down in front of me, close to the fire.

That seat was reserved for Britton once he got Carly under control, and Riley wasn't afraid of bugs who could possibly crawl all over her naked legs.

She had shorts on, and a large sweatshirt to keep her warm. At night, it did get cold outside, being surrounded by all those trees.

"I don't understand how you can stay calm and sweet when she acts worse than a toddler," Davis said.

Riley shrugged. "What's the point in being rude to a person if it only makes me feel bad?" She sighed, turning her head to look at me.

"You got a point there," I told her, tipping the top of my bottle at her. "Good thing you got your mother's heart."

That made her smile. She loved being compared to Alison, and we'd never shy away to do so.

Riley leaned back, and I spread my legs so she could lean against my chair. "I think Dad and I are better off without her. He's better off without her," she corrected herself.

Her hair was all over, and I brushed it all to one side, then placed my hand on her right shoulder. "He definitely is. But I'm not sure he'll actually kick her out while we're up here." Although, that was something we all hoped for. We would spend almost eleven weeks up here, and I wasn't sure I could make it that long by being around Carly every day.

"Let's not talk about her. I wanna have fun this summer. I've never been up here, and today was already amazing."

Her positivity amazed me.

I moved my fingers along her spine and into her hair. I felt her shiver, so I wrapped my fingers around her waves and slightly pulled on them to make her lean back even more.

"There's a town about forty-five minutes away. I'm sure we'll head down there a few times a week to get some groceries or to eat. You'll like it there," Davis told her.

"Sounds good," she croaked out, almost breathlessly.

Was it my touch that made her react that way?

Riley

Shep kept tugging at my hair ever so slightly, but it sent sparks through my body every time his grip tightened.

I didn't want to move, but I knew as soon as Dad came downstairs, I had to get away from Shepherd.

It didn't feel weird having him this close, and even when I was in the lake with Davis, wrapped around his body...it felt good. I felt safe.

Dad often snuggled with me on the couch at night while we watched a movie, but even that didn't compare to what I felt in Davis's arms.

It was different. My heart didn't beat that fast when Dad held me, and the unknown twitching and stinging between my legs was also new.

I knew about being aroused or feeling sexually attracted to people, but I couldn't possibly feel that type of attraction toward my dad's best friend. Right?