19

Riley

"Hey, old man!" Tig stepped up to our table with the biggest grin on his face.

I watched as Dad got up and hugged him, patting his back. "What's up, Tig? You all right?"

"Hell, yeah, I'm all right. Man, you come up here every damn year and never fucking tell me that you have a daughter? What's the matter with you?"

I laughed as Dad sat back down and quickly moved my hand from Shep's as Tig squeezed into the booth next to me. "You ready for the party, baby? You look gorgeous. Jesus, look at you!" He let his eyes travel down my dress, then back up to my eyes.

"Hey," Dad called out, pointing his fork at Tig.

We were almost done eating.

"Keep her safe. And keep those damn friends of yours away from her, you got me?" he warned.

"Got it, old man. She'll have the time of her life. You ready to go?" he asked.

"Yes."

I was excited to meet new people, or so I thought.

Maybe I was just nervous.

A party on a lake at night sounded dangerous.

Tig got up from the table and pulled me up with him. "I'll get her home after midnight," he announced.

Dad didn't seem happy about that. "No later than one a.m., you got me?"

I rolled my eyes and leaned in to kiss his cheek. "I'll be back by then," I promised.

"Have fun, Ace," Davis called out as Tig pulled me away from the table.

"And you really spend every damn day with them? How can you survive their overprotectiveness?"

I laughed and shrugged. "I guess I'm used to it. But you gotta slow down, I can't keep up."

"Sorry. I'm excited for you to meet everyone. These are kids I see every summer. You'll get along with them. Just stay away from Kira. She's a bitch. I mean, she's fun. But a bitch."

I scrunched up my nose. "Don't say that. I'm sure she's nice."

"I'm sure you'll change your mind the second you talk to her. Come on." We reached the deck where our and about nine other boats were tied to.

In one of them, two people were drinking a beer. "I'm guessing that's yours?" I pointed to the boat and Tig nodded.

He pulled me to his boat, then nodded toward the other two. "Guys, this is Riley. Britton's daughter. Riley, that's Gianna and her boyfriend Dylan."

I smiled at them and waved. "It's nice to meet you."

"You're Britton's daughter? How come this is the first time I've seen you around here?" Gianna set her beer down and stepped closer to us, then held out her hand to help me get into the boat.

I grabbed her hand to then step over the gunwale and into the boat. "Thanks. Uh, Dad never took me up here. I guess he never really thought about telling everyone about me. That's okay."

"I wished I would've known. I could've started flirting with you years ago," Tig said, and I laughed at his words.

"Charming, isn't he? You can call me Gigi, by the way." She smiled and sat back next to Dylan.

"So, Riley," Dylan said, looking up at me with a smile. "How are you liking it up here?"

I sat down on the side of the boat before Tig turned the motor on. "It's nice. It's only been a few days, but I really enjoy being here. I love how calm and quiet it is around the cabin."