26

Shepherd

I was falling for Riley.

My heart had never beaten that fucking fast by just looking at someone, and her trusting me enough to take her virginity strengthened the feelings I had for her even more.

I could go on about how I could've stopped myself from catching feelings for her, or that I should've kept my distance, but that's not what I wanted.

I wanted Riley, and no matter what battles might come our way, I would give my all to keep her close to me.

Telling Britton was one thing.

Other than Davis, I couldn't keep my attraction for his daughter to myself. It was wrong to hide it, and it would only get harder in the future.

"What are you gonna do about it?" Davis asked as he grabbed a bowl out of the cupboard.

I looked up from the bread I was slicing and shrugged. "I need to tell Britton. I don't care what you do, and if you wanna keep it to yourself, I won't snitch. But the longer we keep it a secret, the harder it'll get for him to understand."

"You should talk to her about it. Get her opinion on it. She's not gonna want to hurt her dad."

"I know," I replied.

I heard footsteps come from the stairs, and I turned my head to see Riley walk into the kitchen with a satisfied smile on her face.

She didn't look worried at all, but deep inside, there must be some type of regret she was feeling.

Maybe not because of me, but because of not being honest with Britton.

I set the knife down and walked over to her, then cupped her face in my hands and made her look straight into my eyes.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

She studied my face and smiled, tilting her head to the side. "I feel fine. Just a little...sore, I guess."

I nodded. "We gotta talk."

"Right now?" Her hands moved to my shirt and she clung to it with her fists.

"No, not right now. Tonight, all right?"

She slowly nodded and let her eyes wander down to my lips. "Did I do something wrong? Are you upset?" Her voice was so damn quiet, and I hated that she thought she had done something to upset me.

"Fuck no, Riley. Don't ever think that. Come on, you gotta eat."

I wanted to step away from her so she could sit down, but she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me closer, pressing her lips on mine gently.

I gripped her waist and held her close, easing into her as our lips slowly moved.

Yeah, I had to tell Britton.

I couldn't get enough of her.

So damn sweet.

I broke the kiss and looked back into her eyes with a smile. "What was that for?" I whispered.

Riley shrugged, her fingers tracing my jawline.

"To thank you. I couldn't have imagined a better first time." Her eyes moved to Davis.

"You too. Thank you."

Davis waved at her. "Just come eat some cereal before your dad gets back."

I chuckled and patted the side of her ass to make her move. "Sit," I told her, and she did what I said.

We all handled this situation differently.

I was afraid to break her.

Riley was probably scared to hurt Britton.