9

Riley

I was curled up in Dad's lap, wrapped in a blanket with his arms around me. They only had three chairs around the fire. Up until this summer, they didn't need more than three. But I didn't bother grabbing a chair from inside or sit on the ground tonight. I wanted to comfort Dad, and cuddling him was the best way to do so.

Thanks to his well-built and tall body, I still felt like a baby in his arms. I was only five-three, and with his six-foot-five, he towered over me just like the other two. But that's what I loved about Dad. I felt protected and safe.

He was holding a beer in his right hand, and I watched him take a sip before he continued to tell a story about their time in college.

"We were all on the football team, but instead of training hard, we much rather talked to the cheerleaders," he chuckled. "And I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have met Alison."

"I thought she was the reason why you started football in the first place," Shep grinned. "But you're right. We didn't do shit on that field."

I smiled and closed my eyes. My ear was on Dad's chest, and I listened to his heartbeat. In a way, that's how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Surrounded by Dad, and the two men who watched me grow up.

"We've been through lots of shit back then. That was also my first time riding a damn Harley. Fuck, I miss those times," Davis muttered.

"My first time realizing I didn't wanna work a damn nine-to-five job after graduating," Shep added.

All three had different jobs. Dad's an architect, and he didn't even know he wanted to become one until after seeing a documentary on tv. Shep's a pilot. He used to fly private jets, but after doing that for several years, he decided to become a flight instructor and open his own little school. Davis, on the other hand, stuck with his love for motorcycles.

The Reckless Knights MC opened their own motorcycle store right next to their clubhouse, and Davis runs that place.

Despite all three of them following separate dreams, they stuck together and stayed in Lewiston.

"I'll get her upstairs," Dad said. My brain was slowly shutting off, already half-asleep. He picked me up with his arms hooked underneath my knees, and I leaned in closer to him to hold on.

"Good night, Ace," I heard the other two say, but sure enough, I fell asleep.

*

I felt the bed lower on one side, and I furrowed my brows, then opened my eyes to see who got into my bed this late. It was still dark out, and it didn't feel as if I had gotten much sleep since we all sat around the fireplace.

Turning onto my back, I saw Dad pull the covers over his legs. "Everything okay?" I whispered.

He looked at me and sighed. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Didn't mean to wake you. Carly locked me out of the bedroom."

She did what?

God, now she was really being childish.

"You don't mind if I sleep in your bed, do you?"

I quickly shook my head and smiled at him. "As long as you don't snore," I mocked.

Dad rolled his eyes and got comfortable.

"So...you're really taking her home tomorrow?"

"I guess so. She's clearly not interested in staying here with us anymore. I'm over it too, to be honest." He paused and looked at me in the darkness. "Have you ever felt as if I didn't give you enough attention since Carly came around?" His voice was sad, and I couldn't stand seeing him like this.