31

Riley

I woke up multiple times last night.

Every time I tried to fall asleep, I saw Dad standing there with disappointment dancing in his eyes.

It was almost ten and my stomach was growling at me to get some breakfast, but I didn't dare to leave the room.

Seeing Dad after everything that happened last night was too much for me to handle, but I couldn't sit in my room all day and only go out at night.

I could go a whole day without eating, but I'd have to use the toilet eventually.

After a few deep breaths I pushed myself off the bed and walked over to the door.

I couldn't hear him, but I was sure he was already up.

Dad usually had things to do when he was home.

Working on his old timer in the garage, or playing the guitar.

That's when it hit me.

I ruined his summer.

He was never home when I was on summer break.

This was our first, and for some reason, it didn't feel like the last time.

I opened the door and looked out down the hallway. Our house had one floor, but it wasn't small.

It had three bedrooms, one for guests, two bathrooms, and an office where Dad usually works on sketches for new builds. Our kitchen and living room were connected in one big open space.

Mom and Dad renovated this place before I was born, and I'd never lived anywhere else.

This was my home.

The place I felt safe in.

The place in which the man I loved so deeply lived with me.

I made my way toward the living room, but he was nowhere to be seen.

He wasn't in the kitchen either, and for some reason I thought that was a good opportunity for me to get what I needed and head straight back into my bedroom.

I opened the fridge and disappointment washed over me. I had forgotten that we cleared the whole fridge before leaving for the cabin.

"Shit," I mumbled.

The front door swung open, and I turned to see Dad walk in with two full bags of groceries.

He must've gone out early this morning.

Thank God.

"Morning," I said in a shaky voice.

"I'm headed to the office later. I'll stay late, so make yourself something to eat."

He put the bags down and started to put everything away, and I watched him and his newly-found cold-hearted side I didn't know existed.

It hurt seeing him like that, but again...there's nothing I could do.

"Okay," I replied.

I didn't move until he was done, and once he stored the bags into a cabinet where we kept reusable bags, he left the kitchen to go to his room.

He wasn't going to talk, nor was he going to look at me.

I grabbed the milk out of the fridge and poured myself a glass, then opened the drawer where he stored away the oat bars and grabbed one of those too.

I suddenly wasn't as hungry anymore, and I went back to my room to sit on my bed with the door wide open.

As much as I disliked seeing Dad like that, I wanted him to know that I wasn't going to shut myself off.

I was mad too, but that didn't give me the right to just dismiss him the way he did with me.

Well, he just didn't really pay much attention and ignored me.

Mom wouldn't want us to fight.

She'd help us fix this.

My phone vibrated under my pillow, and I pulled it out to look at the message.

I'm getting a ride from Shep. They're leaving in a few hours and they'll take me with them. Hang in there, baby. See you soon.

I quickly typed a reply.

I'm not sure you can stay here at my house. Can you ask Shep if he'll let you stay with him?

Dad would not allow Tig to sleep here, not even in the guest bedroom. A few minutes later, another message from Tig appeared on the screen.

Already asked. I'm gonna stay with Shep for a few days. Or even weeks. Depends how long you need me.

I had no doubt Tig and I would stay friends for many years.

Thank you, Tig. You're the best.

Shepherd

Tig staying with me meant that Riley would come over, and as much as I hated to go behind her father's back again, I needed to see her.

My nose was still hurting, and it bruised pretty badly, but that pain was nothing compared to what I was feeling in my chest.

It felt as if a part of me was missing, and I hated knowing that Riley might be feeling the same.

It made me mad just thinking about her not feeling all right, and I wanted to pull her into my arms and tell her that everything would be okay soon.

Davis had already gone ahead on his bike.

It was a shame that we had to leave the cabin earlier than usual, and we'd have to spend our summer in Lewiston.

Sure, we could've stayed, but I wasn't an asshole.

"You sure you can handle me all the way down to your hometown?" Tig asked as he closed the car door and buckled up.

I sighed and started the engine, ready to drive home.

He was trying to cheer me up, but I wasn't in the mood for his hyperactive personality. Not today.

"I'll try my best not to stop in the middle of the highway and kick you out."

"That's the spirit," he laughed. "I'm just messing with you, man. Riley knows I'm spending some days at your place but that doesn't mean she's gonna come over and see you right away. I'll meet with her first and see how she's feeling."

That was a decent idea.

As much as I wanted her close, I couldn't push and urge her to do things she didn't want to. She needed a friend, and talking to me about Britton wasn't going to help.

"Has she said something else? Is she all right?"

"She's sad. Just give it some time."

I nodded and kept my eyes on the road ahead of us.

I trusted Tig around Riley.

Every time she came back to the cabin after spending a day with him and the others, she was smiling from ear to ear.

"You're a good kid, Tig. Thank you for doing this," I told him.

"Anytime, man. Just doing what I do best."