35

Riley

Dad walked into the house and the look on his face was one I hadn't seen in a while.

He looked defeated, but relieved at the same time.

"Hi," I said, getting up from the couch and putting my glass of water down on the coffee table.

As I looked at him again, he studied me for a moment before his jaw unexpectedly started to tremble.

Tears filled his eyes, and I rushed over to him to hug him tight around his waist. "Oh, Daddy," I whispered, his silent sobs urging me to cry too.

He's had enough.

Everything he kept hidden inside of him needed to get out.

His arms wrapped around my shoulders, keeping me close to his body.

"I'm so sorry, Riley. God, I feel like shit," he muttered against my hair.

I quickly shook my head and looked up at him, tears blurring my vision.

"Don't. It's okay, I'm not mad at you," I assured him.

He pressed his lips on my forehead and held my head with both his hands. "But you have every right to be, Ry. You were right, Mom would've listened to you. I'm sorry I didn't. I'm sorry I had to be so fucking stubborn, but I didn't know how else to deal with it. Please forgive me, sweetheart."

"Daddy," I sighed, keeping my arms around him. "I've forgiven you a long time ago."

I tilted my head to the side and smiled to hopefully cheer him up.

"I know what I've done wasn't right. He's...your best friend, and I ruined it. But I'm going to stay away. I want you guys to be friends again."

Dad studied my face with bloodshot eyes, and I reached up to wipe his tears away.

Last time I saw him cry was when Mom died.

I didn't like him like this.

At all.

"I went to talk to him," he said.

"You did?" I asked.

That was a surprise.

"Yeah, I did. Something I should've done a long time ago." He took a deep breath and brushed my hair back over and over again, keeping his eyes steady on mine.

"I'm not gonna talk to you about what I talked to him about. But I want you to get dressed. Put on a nice dress. I wanna hear your side too."

I pressed my lips into a firm line and then nodded.

If that's all there was left to do to make him smile again, I'd do it with no hesitation.

"Okay. I can do that," I said with a smile.

"Good." He pulled me close again to kiss my cheek, and before he let go, I placed a kiss on his cheek as well.

"I love you, Daddy," I whispered.

"I love you too, sweetheart. Now, go. I'll get dinner started."

Whatever Dad and Shep talked about, I was positive that they were on good terms again.

I could've texted Shep to ask how he was doing, but I didn't dare to pick up my phone.

Tonight was all about Dad and me.

Luckily, I showered already, and I pulled out my favorite dress from my closet and put it on before heading into the bathroom to do my hair.

A little make up was appropriate.