29

Riley

"You haven't told Britton yet?"

I looked at Tig and shook my head.

We were on our way back to the cabin after a day on the lake.

Gigi and Dylan were sitting in the back, and I was standing next to Tig behind the steering wheel.

"The past two weeks have been...incredible. Shep and I always found time for each other, away from the others. I know it's wrong, and I wish I could just tell Dad. But I'm scared, and maybe it's best if we wait until summer's over."

He shook his head and sighed. "I really hate telling you what to do, Ry...but if I were you, I'd tell him. No more waiting. The longer you keep it secret, the harder it'll be for Britton to accept it."

Tig was always right.

But Shep and I grew closer, spent nights together until the sun came up and I had to go back to my room.

Whenever Dad was close, we kept our distance, but every little chance we got was used to touch and kiss each other.

I was nervous.

Anxious.

"Do what you think is best, Riley. Just...don't wait too long."

We got closer to the deck, and I grabbed my backpack with a sigh.

"I wish it was easier," I whispered.

"You'll feel better about it after you've opened up. Don't panic. Just take a deep breath and get it over with. You're not alone. Shep will be right there with you."

He was right about that too.

No matter what I decided to do, Shep would be right there to support me.

As the boat stopped and Tig turned off the motor, I hugged his side and thanked him for the fun day we had.

"Anytime, baby. Next time you wanna hang out with us, you know to just give me a call."

He gave me his number about two weeks ago, and since then, I had called him every day to come pick me up.

"I'll see you soon. Bye guys!" I waved at the two lovebirds in the back, then stepped onto the deck and walked up the path to the cabin.

Dad was standing by the grill, and as I walked up to him, he smiled. "You look happy," he said.

"That's because I am," I told him.

That was only half the truth.

Hiding things from him was starting to get to me.

"You and Tig...you're not getting closer, are you?"

I frowned at him and tilted my head to the side. "No, Daddy. He's a friend," I assured him.

"You've been so different lately."

"Really? Well, I like it here. This place is growing on me. You have to take me again next summer."

He chuckled. "I'd love to have you up here every damn summer. Go put your things away. Dinner's almost ready."

I nodded and stood on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek, then ran inside to go upstairs to my room.

After a very quick shower, I put on some comfortable clothes and put my damp hair into a bun at the top of my head.

"You're back."

I turned to see Shep standing there with his hands pushed into the front pockets of his shorts.