4

Riley

"Float on your back," Davis said. Swimming in one spot was tiring, and he must've noticed how much I struggled to keep my head above water. I wasn't a bad swimmer, but I got tired very easily, and it didn't help that I struggled with the fear of drowning and deep water.

He could easily stand even further out, thanks to being over six feet tall. I lifted my legs and spread my arms to let the water hold me over the surface.

"Just like that," he said, his voice low. I felt his hands underneath me, one touching my back, the other my thighs.

"Your body needs to be tense so it doesn't pull you down. Tighten your stomach," he said to me, putting one hand on my belly while I sucked in air to stiffen up the way he told me to.

"Perfect." His eyes met mine, and I pressed my lips into a thin line before I looked down at his hand.

"You'd probably float without tensing," I said, puckering my lips.

"You think?"

"Well, yeah. Your muscles are big enough to act as some sort of inflatable life jacket."

Laughter exploded from his chest, and I grinned, finally seeing his seriousness fade because of me. That felt nice. Having that effect on him made me feel special, and I loved hearing his laugh. It was contagious. Without knowing what I had said to make Davis laugh, I could hear Dad and Shep laugh too.

I grinned, trying to keep myself afloat while Davis put one hand on his chest and the other on his defined stomach. "Fuck, I missed you," he chuckled, trying to calm down. "You still got it in you, huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"When you were little, you always had the funniest things to say to us. You were a little rascal and incredibly witty. You got some good laughs out of us, and I'm glad you still got that in you."

His words made me smile. His hands moved underneath me again, and his touch sent shivers through my body. "I don't remember you laughing a lot," I told him, keeping my voice low.

Sure enough, all the wrinkles that appeared when he smiled vanished, and a serious look overcame his face. "There's not many people who can make me laugh. You're one of them. When I'm at the club, it's not all fun and games, you know? Gotta be focused at all times."

I slowly nodded. "What's it like when you do have fun at the club?"

He held his breath for a moment, then the corners of his mouth curled up into a soft smile, and his eyes moved over my face when he replied. "It's not something I wanna talk about with a girl like you."

I rolled my eyes and let my legs back down to swim in place in front of him. "It's not like I can't imagine what you do at MC parties. I know you have them. Dad often told me about them," I said.

"Then I don't have to tell you any more."

I sighed and shrugged. "Yeah, you do. He didn't give any specific details."

Davis chuckled. "What do you imagine happens at one of those parties then?"

"There's probably lots of alcohol, loud music, and the whole bar is filled with cigarette smoke."

He shrugged with one shoulder, then grinned at me. "Probably."

"And there are lots of women who try to get the attention of the members and hope to spend a night with them," I added.

Davis's grin grew again, and I kept going with my assumptions about MC's. "Maybe there are strippers, and there's probably a lot of drugs around the club too."

"Spot on," he muttered. "Enough club-talk. Are you cold?" He reached around my waist and pulled me closer, and I wrapped my legs around his hips for more support. Breathing started to get more difficult.

"No, just a little tired."

"Hold on to me," he told me, his voice husky.

I did what he said, and I grabbed on to his shoulders as he kept me close against his body, holding me up.

My eyes were on his, but after a few seconds of silence, I had to look away. "Dad's leaving Carly," I said. What else was I supposed to say while I could feel every damn muscle on his body?

"I know. He told me. How do you feel about that?"

I shrugged. "I don't really get along with her. I guess I don't mind it." I looked back into his eyes, and they were greener than they usually were. I couldn't keep mine on his though, so I moved my gaze to look at the house where Shep was still sitting in his chair. Dad had left again, and Carly was nowhere to be seen either.

"You got your dad. And you got Shep and me. I know your mom's up there, proud to have such a smart and beautiful daughter."

I smiled and looked at his chest. The gun hidden between thorns and roses on his chest kept disappearing from sight because of the small waves hitting his chest. Someday, I wanted to find out everything about his tattoos.

I knew she was up there somewhere, taking care of us from afar. Mom never left us.

"Didn't mean to make you sad," Davis said, and I quickly shook my head. "You didn't," I replied, meeting his gaze again.

"Thank you for being around."

"Of course. Come on, let's get you out of here." He looked back to the house, and instead of letting go of me, his arm tightened around my back while his other hand gripped my thigh, keeping my legs around his hips.

Davis

She must've felt it. My dick was poking her ass, but she didn't flinch or move. I'd be going straight to hell after getting out of the lake, but why did having Riley close while she held on to me feel so fucking good?

Riley's tiny, about five-three. She had always been pretty, just like Alison. Same dark, long hair, striking gray eyes, and that face...fuck.

I had to stop thinking about her.

"I think I can stand here," she pointed out, looking down at the water which now reached only to my stomach.

Her legs and arms were still wrapped around me.

I didn't mean to make her uncomfortable, so I loosened my arm around her tiny waist and set her down while my eyes met Shep's.

He had been watching us closely the whole time, and if I weren't mistaken, there was some sort of jealousy flashing in his eyes.

I couldn't keep a grin to myself, and while Riley walked his direction, he shook his head at me.

"Had a nice swim?" he asked Riley, moving his gaze to her as she stopped next to him.

"Yes, it was nice," she replied. "Why didn't you come in?"

"I will next time. I wanted to enjoy the view."

"Okay." Riley smiled, then left to go inside the cabin to dry off.

"You're not the only one who had fun in there, huh?"

I looked at Shep and raised an eyebrow. I knew I had a fucking boner, but there was no need for him to point it out. "Mind your own damn business, will ya? And quit looking at my dick, fucker."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Make sure Britton doesn't catch you holding his daughter like that."

Never in a million years. Unless I wanted to end up dead.