32

Riley

I'm at Shep's. Any place we can meet?

I read the text from Tig over and over again, and I was almost not going to respond and just run down the street to get to Shep's house.

He didn't live far from us, and neither did Davis.

Dad's not home and he said he'll be gone until late. Come over.

I added my address and waited for him to see the message, then he sent me a thumbs-up.

I didn't shower or change clothes yet, but I didn't feel like doing that.

It didn't take him long to arrive at my house, and after opening the door, I wrapped my arms around his neck to finally get the hug I so desperately needed.

"Hey, baby," Tig said, brushing his hand over my hair.

"How's he doing?" I asked.

"Shep's okay. He said he would come hug you if he could, but he'll wait until things have settled."

I nodded and leaned back to look into his eyes. "Thank you for coming. I think a good talk is what I need."

"Good. Then let's get comfortable. Where's your room?" he asked.

I pointed down the hall and started walking toward my room.

As we entered it, he immediately sat down on my bed and leaned back against the headboard, then held his arms out.

"Come here."

I got onto the bed and cuddled up against his chest. "Did you tell Gigi and Dylan where you went?" I asked as he pulled me closer with his arms around me.

"Yeah, I told them that I'd spend some time with you. I think they didn't believe me when I said that we're just gonna hang out as friends."

I grimaced. "They think we're dating?"

Tig snorted and grinned at me. "I wish! Thing is, they have no clue you're into older men."

I punched his arm and sighed. "Shep's not old."

"You're right. So tell me. What happened with Britton last night?"

"He didn't talk to me, and this morning he also just said the bare minimum. He wouldn't even look me in the eyes. I'm scared he'll be like that for too long and we'll never recover from it. All I want is to explain everything to him. I don't care if he accepts what Shep and I have, but I want him to be...normal again. I want him to talk to me. And to Shep. He doesn't have to see us together if that's what he wants, but when I'm alone with him...I want him to see me again."

Tig caressed my head with his hand, and with the other he tucked me close against his side.

"I know I've said this a million times already, but I think he needs time to reflect on this. I'm sure he's gonna accept you two as a couple someday, but for now, he has to understand that what you two have won't harm any of you."

"For that he'll have to listen," I pointed out.

"That's true. I'm with you on that. But he's a man. A father. And he's fucking stubborn. Let him think about it. You'll be fine."

I took a deep breath and looked up at him. "You know...somehow I feel like whatever you say will happen. Not sure if it's your positivity, but you don't make me lose hope."

He smiled down at me and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Good. Because he'll come around eventually. He's your dad. He loves you and will understand."