30

Shepherd

I deserved that punch in my face.

No, I deserved even more than just one punch.

I deserved a whole damn beating from Britton.

After they left, I felt as if the world collapsed on top of me, shattering me into millions of pieces.

Riley was my main thought as I sat on a chair outside by the firepit, staring into the night sky.

They left hours ago, and they'd probably be arriving home any time soon.

I wondered what would've happened if we had told him earlier.

Would he have still reacted in that way?

Probably.

Britton loved his daughter, and Riley would never disobey him, no matter how upset she was because of him.

"I'm guessing you don't wanna stay here any longer," Davis said as he sat down next to me.

He held a beer toward me, and after grabbing and opening it, I took a few long sips.

"I need to talk to him. I don't care if he wants to listen or not, but he needs to hear me out."

"That might be difficult. You know he's a stubborn motherfucker."

"It's worth a try," I replied. "I'm not gonna let it end like this. Riley doesn't deserve him to be so mad at her."

Davis sighed and leaned back. "Whatever you do, don't push it too far."

I wouldn't.

But I couldn't go easy on him either.

I let out a shaky breath.

"Riley holds my heart."

Davis placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "I know, man. And you hold hers. I hope that you two find a way back together again someday. Just take it slow. Give Britton some space before you go talk to him, all right?"

I nodded. "That's the least I can do."

Riley

Almost four hours of silence.

As we arrived back in Lewiston and pulled up on our driveway, I crossed my arms and refused to get out of the car.

I couldn't even say goodbye.

Dad didn't care.

He got out and grabbed our duffle bags from the back, then walked up to the front door and unlocked it.

I needed some time to think, and to hopefully soon explain everything that went down at the cabin. Staying in the car wouldn't fix anything, so I collected all my strength and got out of the car to follow Dad inside.

I wiped away the tears that kept coming.

"Can we please talk?" I asked quietly, looking at him with hopeful eyes.

"It's late. Go to bed."

I was never angry at Dad, but tonight, he was just being mean.

"That's all I'm asking for, Dad! A talk!"

"Go to bed, Riley!" he shot back, not wanting to hear me anymore.

I studied his face for a while, then shook my head in disbelief.

"Mom would've listened."

I went into my room and shut the door with force, then locked myself inside.

The tears were back, and the anger and frustration in me was getting bigger by the second.

Pulling out my phone from my back pocket, I opened my contact list and tapped on Tig's number. Just two rings later, he picked up.

"Hey, baby. Miss me already?"

The grin in his voice was not to miss, and I hated to ruin his good mood.

"I'm back home," I croaked out, sitting down on the bed.

"What? Home where? In Lewiston?"

"Yes. Dad found out. I was talking to Davis about Shep and Dad heard us," I explained.

"Shit...Riley, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

"No. He's angry. He won't let me talk to him. And he punched Shep."

I heard Tig move what sounded like his covers. He must've been in bed already.

"I didn't wake you, did I?"

"No, you didn't. Don't worry, baby. Tell me, did you get a chance to talk to Shep already?" he asked.

"No. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye," I whispered.

"You'll be fine, all right? Let Britton settle down. Think about what happened and maybe he'll come to you sooner than you think."

"No, Tig. I don't think he will. I've never seen him this mad before."

A sigh escaped him and I was imagining him brushing his hand through his hair. "Do you have a best friend down there? Anyone you can trust and talk to?" he asked.

I thought about my friends and who'd be most likely not to tell the whole town that I was in love with my Dad's best friend.

There wasn't really someone I was very close with.

"I-I'm not sure," I replied.

"I see. All right, listen," he cleared his throat and was moving the covers again. "I'll come down there tomorrow. Not sure when I can be there, but I'll try to get to you."

"Tig...you don't have to—"

"But I want to, Riley. You're my friend, remember? And I don't like the idea of you sitting there in your room all alone."

Tig made me smile, and I wished I had known him all my life.

"Thank you," I whispered. "Thank you so much, Tig."

"Of course. I will let you know when I'm on my way. Now, get some sleep. Don't let your thoughts run you over."

"Okay. Thanks, and goodnight."

That call was needed.

I couldn't let my emotions get to me.

Staying strong and to stop crying was what I had to do.

If Dad wouldn't talk to me, I'd give him all the time he needed. I just hoped that would be soon.