33

Riley

"He took Carly home last night," I told Tig as we walked along the river.

I woke up early this morning and needed to get out before I got a glance of Carly. And Dad.

For the very first time, I didn't feel like seeing him.

Tig and I went to get some breakfast at one of my favorite coffee shops, then decided to go for a walk.

"I though they broke up? Probably his way of dealing with things."

I nodded and took the last sip of my coffee, then threw the empty cup into a bin.

A sigh escaped me. "I need to see Shepherd. I have to tell him about this, and I can't wait any longer. Dad won't change his mind, and if I keep my distance, I'm not sure I can handle it."

"You sure? I mean, Shep's gonna be happy to see you...but don't you wanna try and talk to Britton again first?"

"I'm not talking to him anymore. And he most definitely doesn't wanna talk to me either."

Tig puckered his lips and thought about my words.

"If that's what you want, then I'm not stopping you. Shep's home. Wanna go right now?"

I nodded, then stopped to turn around and head the other way.

"Do you want me there with you? I can just hang out around town and give you two some space. I like it here," he told me.

"You'd do that for me?"

"Hell, yeah. I'll find something to do. Might go grab something to eat. Go, and just call me when you're done."

I hugged him tight and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you! You're the best."

Tig sometimes didn't seem real to me.

Everything he did to make me feel better or help me was incredible, and I hoped to never lose him.

We weren't too far away from Shep's house, so I walked all the way and arrived only ten minutes later.

After ringing the bell two times, the door swung open.

Shep stood there in his boxer briefs and shirt, and when he saw me, his face lit up.

The bridge of his nose was slightly swollen. Luckily not broken.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, surprised.

Instead of answering right away, I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He held me tight and caressed my back, then kissed the side of my neck softly.

"God, I missed you."

I leaned back to look at him again.

"I missed you too," I said. "Can I come in?"

"Of course."

He stepped back and I went inside.

"Everything all right? Where's Tig?" He asked, with a deep crease between his brows.

"He's still downtown. Wanted to give us some space. Dad and I had a fall out last night. He said he won't support...us."

Shep studied my face for a moment, then pulled me to his couch and sat down with me.

"Did you try and talk to him? I don't want you to be the only one trying to explain everything to him."

I shook my head and frowned. "He won't listen. I tried a few times already."

Shep grabbed my hands and pulled them to his lips, kissing my fingers softly while looking into my eyes.

"And you think there's really no way for us to sit him down and talk?"

I reached out my hand to carefully touch the side of his nose with my fingertips.

He didn't flinch or move away.

"The thing is...I don't think I wanna talk to him again."

"What do you mean? Riley, someday he'll have to listen. Can't stay mad at you forever."

"I know, but he's gonna stay mad at you. Unless..."

Shepherd

I knew what she was going to suggest, but I wasn't ready for that.

"I'm not gonna give up on you, Riley."

"Then how are we gonna be together if he's not okay with this?" she asked.

"I don't know," I sighed. "I really don't know. But I'm not gonna sit here and let you leave me without ever fighting for us. Riley..." I cupped her face with both hands and pulled her closer to lean my forehead against hers.

"We need to go talk to him. Together. It might be hard, but it's our only chance."

She shook her head as a sob left her. "I'm scared to face him with you by my side, Shep. I'm scared to hurt him even more. I called him an asshole. I think it's best if we just..."

"Riley, don't." I sighed and grabbed fistfuls of her hair, looking straight into her eyes.

"You're not even giving this a try!"

"Because I know it's never gonna end the way I want it to end! Maybe one day, when I don't live with Dad anymore...maybe then we can find our way back together."

I shook my head and snorted. "Really? You think I can wait that fucking long?"

"If you love me, then you can."

I hated to admit it, but she was right.

But I knew what time could do to people.

They change.

Meet new people and fall in love with someone else.

They grow older, have new interests and dreams they wanna pursue.

My eyes wandered over her face.

She didn't look too sure about this, but she was right when she said that that's the only way to get Britton to talk to us again.

Even if that would take time, he'd be much more at ease.

"So...this is it?" I asked, looking at her perfect, sweet lips.

She nodded.

Her eyes were filled with unshed tears.

"Can I at least get one last kiss before you go?"

The corners of her mouth curled up, answering my question without saying a word.

I pulled her in and kissed her gently.

Her mouth parted as my tongue moved along the seam of her lips, and once she let me in, I pushed my tongue deeper into her mouth to taste every inch of it.

She placed her hands on my chest and tugged at my shirt.

I wasn't ready to let her go, but if that's what would make her hurt a little less, then there was no other option.

I wanted her to be okay.

Her relationship with Britton had always been strong, and nothing could tear them apart.

Until I came along and destroyed everything.

"I love you," I whispered into the kiss before leaning back and looking into her eyes again.

A single tear rolled down her cheek, and I brushed it away with the pad of my thumb.

"I don't want you to cry. Keep your head up, all right, Ace?"

She nodded and tried to smile again, but it didn't work out quite the way she wanted it to.

Instead, a sob escaped her and I pulled her in again to place one more kiss on her lips.

For some reason, it didn't feel as if this was our last time being close to each other.