2: Unexpected

~ Arielle ~

"Are you sure you don't want to catch a ride with Caleb? I'm positive he won't mind since it's right around the corner," Rosalyn generously offered, glancing around for a chestnut-haired boy.

I squinted while she spoke, watching the huge crowd of students head towards the buses and grabbing their bikes to rush home. It was finally Friday and apparently, everyone was anxious to make it home. As much as didn't enjoy school and all the "lovely" presents it comes with, I had no intention of going home at all.

"Did you hear me?" she chirped again. Turning to her, I said,

 "Yes, I heard you! And no thanks. I don't want to intrude on your quality time together. . . I-"

 She gave me a glare before I could even finish. She dislikes when I say I'm the ultimate third wheeler, which I am. It's the truth.

"You aren't going to bother anyone, okay?! Just come with me?" 

She pleaded. Sighing, she turned away to stare at the crowd of humans once more. I huffed softly at her response and glanced over my shoulder slightly. It was the only place she had not examined yet. To my surprise there was Caleb waiting, looking calm as ever and effortlessly handsome.

Caleb seemed like a great soul, although I never really talk to him. Rosy talks about him quite a lot, so I just figured he was pretty decent. Fortunately, my best friend has a pretty good taste in guys after all.

"There he is," I said, turning Rosy around in a swift movement with both of my tiny hands.

A wide smile immediately formed on her lips. "Alright, stay here. I'm gonna go ask him," she yelled as she began to walk away. I waved goodbye watching her disappear into the crowd.

There was no reason for me to stay and wait.. I bit my lip, glancing between my friend and the road in front of me.  In a moments notice, my feet began to move over the uneven sidewalk, leading me away from the school building. My heavy bag dug into my shoulders and I fidgeted uncomfortably under the weight.

My eyes searched for "the" shortcut. I remember I would wait for my little brother here after school. We would always cut through these bushes together, and race home. The first one there would always have to do the other one's chores for the rest of the day. Clearly, I won more than often ha-ha.

Shaking my head, I cleared the memories from my conscious. His name slowly drifted into my stream of thought and I winced. I had not said his name for over three years because I couldn't bring myself to. My heart began to ache and I wished I could just erase Charlie from my memories once and for all.

I tried my best to not think of him. Whenever I did, guilt and shame swirled through my body, making me feel awfully sick. What I did was unforgivable and unforgettable . . .

"Hey, Tyler! Wait up!" A squeaky male voice called from behind me,  but it sounded awfully distant. My eyes went wide.

A stranger sprinted past me and I stopped walking. A small group ahead of me came to a stop as well, waiting for the running boy. I watched the runner catch up to the group, before moving quickly away.

I jogged to the other side of the road. Their laughter and giggles filled the once quiet street, pushing me to walk faster. I was thankful they had not noticed me yet, and I planned to keep it that way.

My legs moved at a quick pace until I found myself almost jogging. I kept my head facing down, praying they would not recognize me. So HE  wouldn't recognize me.

After the food incident a few days ago, I desperately wanted to avoid Tyler. I glanced at the group and saw the whole jerk-clan together. Arianna, George, Sophia, Chris and last but not least. . . The biggest a-hole of them all, Tyler James.