3:Misplaced

~Arielle~

*Flash Back*

"Uncle, what are doing? You shouldn't be here" I sighed, pressing the ice pack on my forehead lightly.

He smirked. "I needed to come. I had to make sure things were alright," he said, looking down at his spotless business shoes. I stared at him.

Uncle Scott may be the craziest, goofy uncle around, but one thing I admired the most about him was his big heart. He was always there when I needed him and he was so caring.

"Besides, I gotta check up on my favorite niece, don't I?" he teased and I smiled a bit.

"I'm your only niece!"

He laughed, tilting his head back. "True, haha. But in all honesty, I needed to make sure you were alright." I could see his smile slowly disappear, his gaze wandering of in the distance.

"That's sweet of you, but I'm alright. " I looked up at him, a wide smile on my bruised lips. The burning sensation returned in my throat.

He gave me a sad sigh and stared at me, the way a scientist at a new specimen. His eyes were full of sadness and I suddenly felt guilty. I was used to that look, because it was the same look everyone gave me almost everyday. However, it hurt more coming from my uncle.

The look of pity.

"Arielle, I'm not stupid

"Arielle, I'm not stupid. I saw what was happening. I saw what they did to-" 

"It doesn't matter okay? It happened, and you saw it. So what!? It's nothing new to me," I whispered.

He let out a low growl, straightening up. "You mean they do this to you everyday?" His voice was faint, surprise lingered in it. I nodded, trying not to move my head too much. "And you don't tell anyone? You don't even do anything about it!?" He hissed this time, making me shift my gaze away from him.

 "You don't understand! There's no one to tell and there is nothing to do about it," I told him, still scared to meet his eyes.

"Don't your friends know about this? Don't they help you!?"

I chuckled, they always defended me. Although, I was alone this time, and completely helpless.

"They know what I go through, and they defend me, but this has never happened before. . .  I was. . ."

He didn't look at me this time, he fixed his gaze on the small cars on the road. "You were alone," he cooed, stealing the words out of my mouth. I closed my eyes, not wanting to talk about it any further.

"Right, I was alone. Besides, I've always been alone so-"

"Arielle," He turned his head towards me, his gaze colliding with my wandering eyes. The color of his hazel eyes became darker, like they were depicting the change in his emotions. "Can I promise you something?"