IZUKI X READER - HOLD ON

"Do you need anything else?"

"That's all."

"Ok! It's 2200¥." (about 15 €/$)

You hand the money to the cashier, that gives you a bag with the item you've just purchased. You leave the store and walk to the hospital where you'll meet your best friend, who's unfortunately forced to stay in bed. Izuki's illness is nothing new actually, but every time you visit him a crack adds to the surface of your heart: even though you profoundly admire him for the strength he shows to stay optimistic and full of enthusiasm, his condition isn't the same as it used to – something that puts a huge weight on your chest. Nonetheless, it's pointless to waste time on sad thoughts: you've just bought him a present that you know he'll love.

As soon as you reach the big white building you follow the usual path that leads you to third floor, room 317. You knock on the door and wait for Izuki to open it, which quickly happens.

"Hello Shun!" – you greet him giving him a hug.

"Hi (Name-chan)! You're here at last!" – he answers with a smile.

"Sorry for being late, but I had something to buy before coming here..." – you state with a smirk as you hand him the bag.

"Oh, is this a present for me?" – he curiously asks.

"Of course! Come on, open it!"

His hands explore the bottom of the bag and grab a book: the latest volume of "Puns 'n Jokes", hot off the press.

"Wow (Name-chan)! It's just come out, how could you get your hands on it so quickly?!"

"You know, not everyone has a weird friend that loves to collect books filled with cringey puns!" – you answer ruffling his hair.

"You're right, unfortunately there are too few people who have such a funny friend!"

"And such a modest one, too!" – you add, laughing at his miserable attempt to show off basing on puns.

"Anyways, thanks a lot! Come here." – he sweetly says, showing you his open arms ready to embrace you.

You don't make him repeat himself: you put down your bag, hop on the bed and fly right in his arms. You enjoy this moment of peace, laughing to yourself about what has just happened, and you smile realizing how happy you feel when you're close to him. After a while you try to get up, but his grip tightens around your waist; you get back to your previous position and caress his shoulders to give him the extra attention he seems to need, but while doing this you feel his body starting to tremble and his respiration become heavy.

"Shun, are you ok?"

For some time there's just silence and a pair of hands holding on the fabric of your sweatshirt.

"Listen, (Name-chan). I've been thinking a lot lately and I don't know if I should tell you this or not, but as you've been next to me the whole journey I think you deserve to know how things really are."

Ok, anxiety. Izuki is never so dramatic, so there's obviously something really serious beneath this sentence.

"Tell me." – you whisper, looking at him worriedly.

"I'll have to be operated in an hour or so." – he says. This first part is nothing new, he has had surgery a lot of times – "It's a very important operation, because if it goes well, I'll be fully healed."

"Are you joking?! That's great, Shun! You will finally come back to your good old life, you'll leave this room and go to school, play basketball... whatever you want!"