A.D.1925 - 002 - Japan's Turmoil

Things rarely go as planned. Especially if the situation is chaotic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Japan flew to the year 1925 and found that its network with the rest of the world was completely cut off. The Diet was convened to deal with the emergency situation. At the same time, the Japanese government consulted with the US Embassy, including the US military command in Japan. Subsequently, consultations were held with other embassies. The US was given priority because of the presence of US Forces Japan.

The cause is unknown. However, it was speculated that it might have been caused by Spacetime Oscillation Munition from the People's Republic of China, but the details were not known. The JMSDF, JASDF, and Japan Coast Guard began searching the area. This was the time when the decision was made to dispatch ships to restore contact with Taiwan, a nearby country, leaving the Korean Peninsula aside.

The Japan Coast Guard, which was on patrol in the Tsushima Strait to the north, sent an urgent report to the Cabinet Office. They confirmed that a ship was approaching their territorial waters and when they tried to take action, they found out something unbelievable.

They came in an old-fashioned destroyer, saying that they had come from the Governor-General of Korea to check on the situation in the mainland, where communication had been cut off. This was the moment when the Japanese government was informed for the first time that Japan had been sent back in time.

Japan was thrown into a melting pot of confusion. At the same time, the world was in turmoil. The latest power in the Far East had been transformed overnight into a different entity. The year that followed was a time of confusion and chaos for Japan and for the world.

. . .

Territorial Issues

The first problem was the remaining territories of the Japanese Empire: the Korean Peninsula, Taiwan Island, Kwantung Leased Territory, southern Sakhalin, and the South Sea Islands. As a result of discussions with the League of Nations and powers with interests and authority in the Pacific, such as the United States, Britain, and France, the Japanese government assumed the rights and obligations of the Japanese Empire, albeit provisionally. *1 The Japanese government's policy was to make the Korean Peninsula and Taiwan independent in the sense of national self-determination and freedom from troublesome issues.

. . .

Korean Peninsula

The Japanese government initially believed that the Koreans would come on board if they were encouraged to become independent under the auspices of national independence due to the poor relations prior to the time travel. The investment made by the Japanese Empire – Japanese assets on the Korean Peninsula were to be purchased (or taken on as debt) by the independent Korean government and, in a manner of speaking, thrown away. *2 Koreans residing in Japan with special residence permits also got on this policy of the Japanese government. *3

Although the independence plan was almost finalized, it was the Governor-General of Korea who stopped the plan. From the Governor-General of Korea's perspective, forcing Korea, which was not yet a modern nation, to fend for itself was considered an act of an animal. The fact that they were idealists who sincerely wanted to unite Korea and Japan for the sake of Japan became their principle of action.

At the same time, the Koreans were against it. As they become more educated, they saw the development of Japan and understood the benefits of being on the inside. They saw the benefit of having a meal (economic benefits) rather than pride (national independence). It was indeed a pragmatic decision.